Commercial Bank of Africa
|Headquarters||Upper Hill, Nairobi, Kenya|
|Key people||Desterio Oyatsi
|Products||Loans, credit cards, savings, investments, mortgages|
|Revenue||Aftertax:US$25+ million (KES:2.1 billion) (2010)|
|Total assets||US$913+ million (KES:75.5 billion) (2010)|
As of December 2010[update], the bank was one of the largest commercial banks in Kenya with assets of approximately US$913 million (KES:75.5 billion), with shareholders' equity of approximately US$100 million (KES:8.3 billion). It is the largest privately owned commercial bank in Kenya, according to its website. The bank focuses on serving the banking needs of large corporations, diplomatic missions, NGOs and high networth private clients.
Commercial Bank of Africa Group
Commercial Bank of Africa (Kenya) is a member of the CBA Group of companies. These include:
- Commercial Bank of Africa (Kenya) – Nairobi, Kenya – 100% shareholding
- Commercial Bank of Africa (Tanzania) – Dar es Salaam, Tanzania – 100% shareholding
- Commercial Bank of Africa (Uganda) – Kampala, Uganda  – 100% shareholding
- AIG Kenya Insurance Company Limited – Nairobi, Kenya – 33.33% shareholding. Balance of 66.67% shareholding in AIG Kenya held by the American International Group.
The CBA Group is a large financial services group in Eastern Africa, with an asset base estimated at almost US$1 billion, with shareholders' equity of approximately US$100 million.
The bank was founded in 1962 in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. Soon, branches were opened in Nairobi & Mombasa, Kenya and in Kampala, Uganda. When Tanzania nationalised private banks in 1967, the bank moved its headquarters to Nairobi. Following political changes in Uganda in 1971, the bank sold its assets in that country.
At the beginning, CBA was owned by a consortium of financial institutions known as Societe Financiere pour les pays D`Outre Mer (SFOM), based in Switzerland. Original members of the consortium included Banque National de Paris, Bank Bruxelles Lambert, Commerz Bank and Bank of America. In 1980, Bank of America acquired 84% shareholding, effectively buying out all the other SFOM partners. 16% shareholding in CBA remained in the hands of Kenyan investors. During the 1980s Bank of America divested from the bank, putting 100% shareholding in CBA in the hands of Kenyan nationals.
Commercial Bank of Africa is privately owned by twenty-six investors including the family of the Uhuru Kenyatta, Kenya's fourth president.
The Chairman of the board of directors is Desterio Oyatsi, one of the non-executive directors. Isaac Awuondo serves as the managing director.
- Website of Commercial Bank of Africa (Kenya)
- Website of Commercial Bank of Africa (Tanzania)
- Website of Central Bank of Kenya
- Commercial Bank of Africa (Tanzania)
- CBA Group
- List of banks in Kenya
- Central Bank of Kenya
- Economy of Kenya
- List of Licensed Commercial Banks in Kenya
- December 2010 CBA Financial Summary
- About CBA
- Commercial Bank of Africa Expected To Enter Uganda In 2012
- CBA Group Annual Report 2012
- About AIG Kenya
- CBA Group's Total Assets Nearly One Billion American Dollars
- History of CBA
- Shareholding In CBA
- Directors of CBA