Committee for Geographical Names in Australasia
The Committee for Geographical Names in Australia (CGNA) was formed in Perth, Western Australia in 1984 following the International Cartographic Association Conference. The committee was created from that meeting of the various Australian and New Zealand geographical names committees and authorities attending the conference.
The Committee (CGNA) was then integrated within the Intergovernmental Committee on Surveying and Mapping (ICSM) in 1993. It is also associated with the Geospatial and Earth Monitoring Division of Geoscience Australia.
Annual meetings followed at:-
- Bathurst (NSW) - 1985
- Adelaide - 1986
- Darwin - 1987
- Brisbane - 1988
The authorities that work on geographic names and are members of the committee, and the enabling legislation, are as follows:
- Australian Capital Territory - National Memorials Committee - National Memorials Ordinance 1928
- New South Wales - Geographical Names Board of New South Wales - Geographical Names Act, 1966
- Northern Territory - Place Names Committee for the Northern Territory - Place Names Act 1978
- Queensland - The Department of Geographic information - Queensland Place Names Act 1988
- South Australia - Geographical Names Board of South Australia - Act 101 1969
- Tasmania - Nomenclature Board of Tasmania - Survey Co-ordination Act 1944 amendments of 1955 and 1964
- Victoria - Place Names Committee - Survey Co-ordination (Place Names) Act 1965, updated to Geographic Place Names Act 1998
- Western Australia - Geographic Names Committee - Land Administration Act 1997 (was originally the Nomenclature Advisory Committee, appointed in 1936 ); Western Australian Place Names and Addressing
- Antarctic Names Committee of Australia
- Australian Surveying and Land Information Group
- Department of Defence - Army
- Department of Defence - Navy
- ACT Place Names Committee
- Place Names Committee for the Northern Territory
- Queensland place names
- Place Names SA
- The List
- "VICNAMES". Land.vic.gov.au. State of Victoria. Retrieved 31 October 2011.
- "Legislation that supports geographic naming procedures". Landgate. Landgate. Retrieved 31 October 2011.
- "Geographic Names Committee". Landgate. Landgate. Retrieved 31 October 2011.
- Committee for Geographic Names in Australia (1989) Authorities and organizations involved with geographic names in Australia - the 1988 edition and compilation was the responsibility of Brian Goodchild - Secretary of the Geographic Names Committee - Department of Land Administration Perth, Western Australia.