Committee for State Security (Ukraine)
|History of State Security of Ukraine|
Committee for State Security of the Ukrainian SSR or KDB URSR (Ukrainian: Комітет державної безпеки УРСР) is a state committee of the Soviet Union and a regional predecessor of the Security Service of Ukraine, a republican part of All-Union Committee for State Security. After the adaptation of the Constitution of the Ukrainian SSR (1978), it possessed a ministerial authority.
Created on May 30, 1954 according to the ukase of Verkhovna Rada Presidium, the committee completely corresponded to the authority and organizational structure of KGB (created on March 13, 1954). Procedural powers of KDB and its investigative jurisdiction were identified with adoption of the Criminal (1960) and the Criminal Procedural (1961) Codes of the Ukrainian SSR. On July 20, 1978 the name of committee changed from the Committee for State Security at the Council of Ministers of the Ukrainian SSR to simply the Committee for State Security of the Ukrainian SSR.
With the creation of the Security Service of Ukraine on September 20, 1991, the committee was dissolved according to the Verkhovna Rada statement "About creation of the Service of National Security of Ukraine". According to the bullet three of the statement KDB of Ukraine was liquidated, while its materiel-technical potential was handed over to the Security Service of Ukraine except for materiel technical subdivisions for encryption communications and guard service. The encryption communication service were subordinated to the Verkhovna Rada, while the guard service was transferred under the jurisdiction of National Guard of Ukraine (today the Internal troops of Ukraine).
- April l6, 1954 - July 16, 1970 Vitali Nikitchenko
- July 16, 1970 - May 26, 1982 Vitali Fedorchuk
- May 26, 1982 - 1987 Stepan Mukha
- 1987 - September 20, 1991 Nikolai Golushko
- Lubyanka. Handbook. VChK-OGPU-NKVD-NKGB-MGB-MVD-KGB 1917-1960. Moscow, 1997.
- Korovin, V. The history of domestic security agencies. Moscow, 1998.
- Kolpakidi, A., Prokhorov, D. Foreign intelligence of Russia. Saint Petersburg, 2001.
- Land Administration building. Web Encyclopedia of Kiev (WEK).
- Committee for State Security of the Ukrainian SSR
- Okipnyuk, V. Committee for State Security of the USSR and Committee for State Security of the URSR. Encyclopedia of History of Ukraine. "Naukova dumka". Kiev, 2007.