Committee on Institutional Cooperation
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2010)|
|Chair||Karen Hanson, Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost, University of Minnesota
The CIC is an academic consortium of 15 institutions that are members of the Big Ten Conference with the exception of the University of Chicago, who is a former member of the conference.
- University of Chicago
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Indiana University
- University of Iowa
- University of Maryland
- University of Michigan
- Michigan State University
- University of Minnesota
- University of Nebraska–Lincoln
- Northwestern University
- Ohio State University
- Pennsylvania State University
- Purdue University
- Rutgers University
- University of Wisconsin–Madison
The Committee on Institutional Cooperation was established by the presidents of the Big Ten members in 1958 as the conference's academic counterpart. An invitation extended to the University of Chicago, one of the founding members of the Big Ten who withdrew from the conference in 1946, was accepted.
Following its admittance to the Big Ten in 1990, the CIC invited Pennsylvania State University to join the consortium. The University of Nebraska–Lincoln also joined the consortium in 2011 following the school's admittance to the Big Ten.
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (November 2012)|
When considered collectively, CIC universities educate almost a half-million students which represents almost 15% of doctoral degrees, 16% of engineering Ph.D. degrees, and over 23% of the agricultural Ph.D. degrees granted in the U.S. each year.
CIC members, when viewed collectively, conduct a combined total of $8 billion in funded research, receiving some 12 percent of the total federal research funds awarded annually (18 percent of the National Science Foundation total, and 15.7 percent of the USDA total).
The CIC's collaborative efforts span the academic enterprise of its members, including (but not limited to):
- cooperative purchasing
- course sharing
- professional development programs
- library resources
- information technology
- study abroad
- diversity initiatives for students and faculty
- faculty and staff networking
- participant in Google Books Library Project
- "CIC Home Page". Committee on Institutional Cooperation. Retrieved 18 February 2010.
- Wells, Herman B. (1967). A Case Study on Interinstitutional Cooperation. Educational Record
- Paula Allen-Meares, Presentation to UIC Senate - UIC Relationship to the CIC, January 27, 2011.
- Paula Allen-Meares, Message to Campus Re status of UIC's engagement with the Committee on Institutional Cooperation (CIC), December 28, 2010.
- The Daily Collegian, July 16, 1990.  "Board of Trustees Briefs." State College, Pa.
- "NU jumps at Big 10 research invite". Omaha World-Herald. June 17, 2010. Retrieved June 17, 2010.
- "The CIC Welcomes Maryland and Rutgers to Membership". The Big Ten Conference. December 5, 2012. Retrieved December 5, 2012.
- Penn State Lacrosse Programs to Join Big Ten, Pennsylvania State University, June 3, 2013
- Committee on Institutional Cooperation. CIC. Retrieved on 2013-08-17.