Naval Historical Foundation
The Naval Historical Foundation, a nonprofit organization founded in 1926, has a broad mission to preserve and promote the naval history of the United States by supporting official Sea Services programs and institutions, meeting the needs of the public for naval history, and collecting historical items. The Foundation is located at the Washington Navy Yard, in Washington, D.C.
- Augmenting government funds and services for Navy Museum exhibits and Naval History and Heritage Command programs.
- Sponsoring naval history-related events in cooperation with the Naval History and Heritage Command.
- Providing prizes and support of internships, conferences, collections and scholarship related to naval history.
- Conducting a variety of naval historical outreach programs, all in consonance with established Naval Historical Center plans and goals.
- Providing high quality reproduction of photographs, cruise books and documents from the Navy’s collections.
- Providing accurate historical research services on naval history topics.
- Sponsoring or co-sponsoring conferences, symposiums, and commemorations on significant naval history topics.
- Publishing historical material in print, internet, and video formats.
- Recognizing and publicizing important achievements in naval history.
- Operating a naval heritage speakers program of subject matter experts to address public gatherings.
- Making distinctive naval gifts available to naval personnel and visitors to the Navy Museum Gift Shop.
Collecting Historical Items
- Searching out, purchasing or soliciting the donation of art, artifacts, documents, manuscripts, personal papers, and photographs for transfer to the Naval History & Heritage Command, the Library of Congress, and other appropriate federal and non-federal repositories.
- Interviewing, transcribing and digitizing sea service oral histories.
The Commodore Dudley W. Knox Naval History Lifetime Achievement Award was established by the Naval Historical Foundation in Washington, D.C., to honor the memory of the naval historian Commodore Dudley W. Knox and to recognize the lifetime achievements of historians of the United States Navy.
Knox Award Recipients
Pull Together is the official newsletter of the Naval Historical Foundation. Articles cover all aspects of American naval history, including narrative and eyewitness accounts of naval battles and operations, biographical studies, announcements of upcoming events, book notices and reviews. The editorial staff welcomes article submissions.
- Chairman Emeritus: ADM James L. Holloway III, USN (Ret.)
- Chairman: ADM Bruce DeMars, USN (Ret.)
- President: RADM John T. Mitchell, USN (Ret.)
- Vice President: Mr. Martin J. Bollinger
- Treasurer: RADM Howard W. Dawson, Jr. SC, USNR (Ret.)
- Secretary: RADM Richard C. Gentz, USN (Ret.)
- Dr. William S. Dudley
- VADM Robert F. Dunn, USN (Ret.)
- Captain Maurice A. Gauthier, USN(Ret)
- RADM William J. Holland, USN (Ret.)
- The Honorable Steven S. Honigman
- CAPT Andrew C. A. Jampoler, USN (Ret.)
- Dr. Jack P. London
- RADM Larry R. Marsh, USN (Ret.)
- Amb. J. William Middendorf II
- CAPT James A. Noone, USNR (Ret.)
- Dr. Barbara Pilling
- Dr. David A. Rosenberg
- VADM William H. Rowden, USN (Ret.)
- Virginia S. Wood
- "Bradford, Still, and Lundeberg to receive Inaugural Knox Honor", Pull Together, vol. 52, no. 2 (Summer 2013), pp. 12-13.