Communion is an artist-led organisation that combines elements of live promotion, publishing, records and production. The organisation is intended as a hub for songwriters and musicians to develop and flourish within the music industry. Formed in London in 2006, the organisation was founded by Ben Lovett of Mumford & Sons, former Cherbourg bassist Kevin Jones of Bear's Den, and producer Ian Grimble.
Communion works with a range of artists, and its label has released records by Tennis, Rubblebucket, Pete Roe, Michael Kiwanuka, Ben Howard, Matt Corby, Nathaniel Rateliff and Daughter, among others, along with three of its own recorded compilation albums.
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (October 2013)|
Communion began in 2006 as collaboration between friends who started a monthly Club Night at West London's Notting Hill Arts Club, an event aimed to provide support and exposure for local emerging artists. Since then, the organisation has expanded to host Club Nights at venues in the United Kingdom and internationally to New York City, San Francisco and Nashville. They have featured a range of artists including Mumford & Sons, Jay Jay Pistolet, Anna Calvi, Laura Marling, Peggy Sue, and Noah and the Whale.
The organisation expanded its scope, incorporating a record label and hosting annual festivals such as Bushstock, a summer festival in London's Shepherds Bush, and Communion in the Redwoods, a three-day celebration in Big Sur, California. Communion has also run smaller stages at major festivals such as The Great Escape, Camden Crawl, South by Southwest, Bestival and CMJ.
Communion's presence in the US was established with the organisation of two tours that featured The David Mayfield Parade, Lauren Shera, and Matthew and The Atlas. In spring 2012, the 'Austin to Boston' tour occurred following the South by Southwest Festival. Travelling from Austin, Texas, to Boston, Massachusetts, in camping vans, the tour featured Ben Howard, The Staves, Bear's Den, Gill Landry (at some shows) and Nathaniel Rateliff.
In 2010, Communion Records was founded, unrelated to the Christian punk label in operation during the late 1990s in the United States. The label has released compilation records as well as EPs and full-length albums, often produced by founders Ian, Kevin and Ben themselves. Artists include Marcus Foster, Matthew and the Atlas, Pete Roe, Michael Kiwanuka, Ben Howard, Matt Corby, Nathaniel Rateliff and Daughter.
In 2013 Communion Records announced its partnerships with Mumford & Sons' "Gentlemen Of The Road" imprint and Island Records to release the third, self-titled LP by Edward Sharpe and The Magnetic Zeros.
- Communion Compilations
- Compilation Two: The Flowerpot Sessions
- The Flowerpot Sessions, released 30 May 2011, was the product of a week-long collaboration between 23 artists. The compilation was recorded at The Flowerpot, a North London pub that is now closed. Communion took over the venue entirely for one week and encouraged artists to collaborate on each other's recordings and to write together. Artists included Angus and Julia Stone, Damien Rice, Kyla La Grange, Mt. Desolation, Lissie, Marcus Foster, and Matthew and the Atlas.
- Compilation Two: The Flowerpot Sessions
- Compilation Three: New Faces
- Communion's third compilation, "New Faces" is a cherry-picked selection of young artists that Communion wants the world to celebrate next, and also acts as a reminder of the talent that the collective have nurtured over the past twelve months or more.
- Compilation Three: New Faces
Operating as a London promoter in intimate churches, well-known venues on the circuit and 1000+ cap venues such as KOKO and Brixton Academy, Communion Presents has brought sold-out shows for Ben Howard, Matt Corby and The Staves to London. Communion Presents has also promoted shows for both UK and worldwide new talent including Joe Banfi, Nick Mulvey, Chet Faker and Moddi.
Both Communion Presents and Communion Records have operations in the United States, based out of New York. Communion Presents US hosts monthly Club Nights in New York City and Nashville. As of June 2013, Communion Records US has released records by Ben Howard, Michael Kiwanuka, Deap Vally and Willy Mason.
- Matthew and the Atlas - "To The North" (March 2010)
- Communion Compilation (April 2010)
- Pete Roe - The Merry Go Round EP (June 2010)
- Philadelphia Grand Jury - "Going to the Casino" single (July 2010)
- Matthew and the Atlas - Kingdom Of Your Own EP (November 2010)
- Three Blind Wolves - Sound of the Storm EP (February 2011)
- The Flowerpot Sessions - Communion Compilation (May 2011) 
- Nathaniel Rateliff - The Communion / Daytrotter Barnstormer Live EP (April 2011)
- Treetop Flyers - "Things Will Change" Single (May 2011)
- Ben Howard - Old Pine EP (May 2011) 
- To Kill a King - "Fictional State" Single (May 2011) 
- Michael Kiwanuka - Tell Me a Tale, The Isle of Wight Sessions EP (June 2011) 
- Treetop Flyers - "It's About Time" (September 2011) 
- Michael Kiwanuka - I'm Getting Ready EP (September 2011) 
- Daughter - The Wild Youth EP (October 2011)
- Gotye - "Easy Way Out" Single (December 2011)
- Gabriel and the Hounds - Kiss Full of Teeth (February 2012)
- Michael Kiwanuka - "I'm Getting Ready" Single (March 2012)
- New Faces - Communion Compilation (March 2012)
- Foy Vance - Melrose EP (August 2012)
- Pale Seas - "Bodies" / "My Own Mind" Single (September 2012)
- Joe Banfi - Iron EP (September 2012)
- Michael Kiwanuka - "Bones" Single (September 2012)
- Joe Banfi - Nomads (January 2013)
- Bear's Den - Agape (March 2013)
- Half Moon Run - Full Circle (Single) (March 2013)
- Story Books - Too Much A Hunter (April 2013)
- Catfish and the Bottlemen - Homesick (Single) (June 2013)
- Joe Banfi - Spotify Sessions Curated By Brian Eno
- Story Books - Communion and XFM present New Faces, Volume 1, Story Books Live at XFM (July 2013)
- Caveman - In The City (Single) (August 2013)
- Caveman - Caveman (August 2013)
- Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros - Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros (August 2013)
- Catfish and the Bottlemen - Rango (Single) (September 2013)
- The Trouble With Templeton - Six Months In A Cast (Single) (September 2013)
- Matthew and the Atlas - "Other Rivers" (May 2014)
Communion Club Nights are hosted regularly at venues in Brighton, Leeds, Newcastle, Glasgow and internationally in New York City, Nashville and Melbourne. The format includes 5-6 live bands plus DJ sets.
Bushstock is an annual spring music festival hosted by Communion. It is held in London's Shepherds Bush and features multiple artists across multiple venues.
Communion in the Redwoods
Communion hosts Communion in the Redwoods, an annual three day celebration in Big Sur, California.
The 2011 event was held October 21–23 and featured Jackie Greene, The Secret Sisters, John Vanderslice, Forrest Day, Matthew & the Atlas, The David Mayfield Parade, Lauren Shera, Nathaniel Ratleif, Everest, Infantree, and Themes.
- Stubbs, Dan. "Communion." Mojo Music Magazine. July 2011. 74-81.
- "Ben Lovett & Kev Jones: Now That’s What I Call Communion | Interviews | DIY". Thisisfakediy.co.uk. 2011-05-26. Retrieved 2013-03-03.
- "Sacks & Co. /// COMMUNION". Sacksco.com. Retrieved 2013-03-03.
- "Communion in Williamsburg created by Ben Lovett to keep bands from being exploited - NY Daily News". Articles.nydailynews.com. 2011-01-07. Retrieved 2013-03-03.
- "Communion Melbourne Launch on Tone Deaf - The Home Of Australian Music". Tonedeaf.com.au. Retrieved 2013-03-03.
- "Mumford & Sons' clubnight Communion to release compilation album | News". Nme.Com. 2010-01-22. Retrieved 2013-03-03.
- "Music - Review of Various Artists - The Flowerpot Sessions". BBC. Retrieved 2013-03-03.
- Mugan, Chris (2011-04-29). "Communion spread the word with The Flowerpot Sessions - Features - Music". The Independent. Retrieved 2013-03-03.
- "Ben Howard; Old Pine EP, April UK". AAAmusic.co.uk. 2011-03-30. Retrieved 2013-03-03.
- Dave Sugden. "The debut single from To Kill A King to be released in May". Leedsmusicscene.net. Retrieved 2013-03-03.
- "Michael Kiwanuka - Tell Me A Tale by Stayloose on SoundCloud - Hear the world’s sounds". Soundcloud.com. Retrieved 2013-03-03.
- [dead link]
- "Michael Kiwanuka - I'm Getting Ready | Videos | Clash Magazine". Clashmusic.com. 2011-09-18. Retrieved 2013-03-03.
- "It’s open source music: In conversation with Communion Records". The Line Of Best Fit. 2011-06-14. Retrieved 2013-03-03.
- "Communion Records Launch Bushstock Festival". Addict Music. 2011-02-04. Retrieved 2013-03-03.
- "Mumford & Sons Keyboardist's Promotion Team Coming to U.S. :: Music :: News :: Paste". Pastemagazine.com. 2011-09-07. Retrieved 2013-03-03.