Communiqué (Dire Straits album)
|Studio album by Dire Straits|
|Released||15 June 1979|
|Recorded||Compass Point Studios,
28 November –
12 December 1978
Warner Bros. (USA)
|Dire Straits chronology|
Communiqué is the second album by British rock band Dire Straits, released on 15 June 1979 by Vertigo Records internationally, and by Warner Bros. Records in the United States. The album produced the single "Lady Writer", which reached the number 45 position on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, and number 51 on the UK Singles Chart. The album reached the number one position on album charts in Germany, New Zealand, and Sweden, the number 11 position in the United States, and the number five position in the United Kingdom. Communiqué was certified gold in the United States, platinum in the United Kingdom, and double-platinum in France.
Communiqué was recorded from 28 November to 12 December 1978 at Compass Point Studios in Nassau. The album was produced by Barry Beckett and Jerry Wexler, veteran producers from Muscle Shoals Sound Studio who made legendary recordings with Wilson Pickett, Aretha Franklin, the Staple Singers, The Rolling Stones, Traffic, Elton John, Boz Scaggs, Willie Nelson, and Paul Simon.
Communiqué became the first album ever to enter the German charts at number one in its first week of release. Even more remarkable, this happened while their debut album, Dire Straits was still at the number three position in that country. The album went on to sell over 7 million copies worldwide: in Europe it sold 3.6 million copies, and in the United States it reached gold status.
Communiqué was remastered and released with the rest of the Dire Straits catalogue in 1996 for most of the world outside the United States, and on 19 September 2000 in the United States.
The album cover was designed by Phonogram's advertising agency Grant Advertising UK. It won album cover of the year in the NME awards in 1979.
|Robert Christgau||B– |
In his review for AllMusic, William Ruhlmann gave the album two and a half out of five stars, writing that the group's sophomore effort "seemed little more than a carbon copy of its predecessor with less compelling material."
All songs written and composed by Mark Knopfler.
|1.||"Once Upon a Time in the West"||5:25|
|3.||"Where Do You Think You're Going?"||3:49|
|6.||"Angel of Mercy"||4:36|
|9.||"Follow Me Home"||5:50|
- Mark Knopfler – vocals, lead and rhythm guitars
- David Knopfler – rhythm guitar and vocals
- John Illsley – bass and vocals
- Pick Withers – drums
- B. Bear[Note 1] – keyboards
- Barry Beckett – producer
- Jerry Wexler – producer
- Jack Nuber – engineer
- Thelbert Rigby – tape operator
- Gregg Hamm – mix engineer
- Bobby Hata – mastering
- Paul Wexler – mastering supervisor
- Geoff Halpin – illustrations
- Bob Ludwig – remastering
- Alan Schmidt – art direction
Charts and certifications
Communiqué spent 30 weeks on the UK Albums Chart.
|Australia Albums Chart||5|
|Austria Albums Chart||7|
|Germany Albums Chart||1|
|Italy Albums Chart||17|
|Norway Albums Chart||2|
|New Zealand Albums Chart||1|
|Sweden Albums Chart||1|
|UK Albums Chart||5|
|US Billboard 200||11|
Sales and certifications
|Canada (Music Canada)||2× Platinum||200,000^|
|Denmark (IFPI Denmark)||Platinum||50,000^|
|France (SNEP)||2× Platinum||509,000|
|Norway (IFPI Norway)||Platinum||50,000*|
|South Africa (RiSA)||Platinum||50,000|
|Sweden (GLF)||Platinum||100,000^|
|Switzerland (IFPI Switzerland)||3× Platinum||150,000x|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Platinum||300,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||500,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- B. Bear is producer Barry Beckett.
- Ruhlmann, William. "Communiqué". AllMusic. Retrieved 4 December 2012.
- Christgau, Robert (2011). "Dire Straits". Robert Christgau. Retrieved 5 July 2011.
- Communiqué (booklet). Dire Straits. Burbank, California: Warner Bros. Records. 1979. p. 11. 947770-2.
- "Canadian album certifications – Dire Straits – Communique". Music Canada.
- The first web page presents the sales figures, the second presents the certification limits:
- "French album certifications – Dire Straits – Communiqué" (in French). InfoDisc. Select DIRE STRAITS and click OK
- "Les Albums Double Platine :" (in French). Infodisc.fr. Retrieved 21 August 2013.
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank (Dire Straits; 'Communiqué')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie.
- "Sólo Éxitos 1959-2002 Año A Año: Certificados 1979-1990" (in Spanish). Iberautor Promociones Culturales. ISBN 8480486392.
- "The Official Swiss Charts and Music Community: Awards (Dire Straits; 'Communique')". Hung Medien.
- "British album certifications – Dire Straits – Communiqué". British Phonographic Industry. Enter Communiqué in the field Search. Select Title in the field Search by. Select album in the field By Format. Click Go
- "American album certifications – Dire Straits – Communique". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH