Community Cyberinfrastructure for Advanced Microbial Ecology Research and Analysis
|Description||Community Cyberinfrastructure for Advanced Microbial Ecology Research and Analysis|
|Research center||University of California San Diego|
|Laboratory||Center for Research on Biological Systems and Calit2|
|Primary citation||PMID 21045053|
CAMERA, or the Community Cyberinfrastructure for Advanced Microbial Ecology Research and Analysis, is an online cloud computing service that provides hosted software tools and a high-performance computing infrastructure for the analysis of metagenomic data. The project was announced in January 2006, becoming Calit2's flagship project.
The project aims to accelerate genomic research by amassing a large repository of metagenomic data generated by independent members of the research community at large, by developing a custom bioinformatics toolset optimized for cluster computing, and by offering the high-performance computing infrastructure on which to run it.
CAMERA helps scientists access and work with data from the Venter Institute's Global Ocean Sampling Expedition. In 2007, their GOS dataset was the largest ever released in the public domain. The group also places many other datasets for download on its website.
At its inception, CAMERA's mission focused on genomic research of marine microorganisms. CAMERA later expanded its mission to include terrestrial ecology and dropped the word, "Marine" from its original name, the "Community Cyberinfrastructure for Advanced Marine Microbial Ecology Research and Analysis".
CAMERA's leadership includes:
- Sun, Shulei; Chen Jing, Li Weizhong, Altintas Ilkay, Lin Abel, Peltier Steve, Stocks Karen, Allen Eric E, Ellisman Mark, Grethe Jeffrey, Wooley John (Jan 2011). "Community cyberinfrastructure for Advanced Microbial Ecology Research and Analysis: the CAMERA resource". Nucleic Acids Res. (in eng) (England) 39 (Database issue): D546–51. doi:10.1093/nar/gkq1102. PMC 3013694. PMID 21045053.
- PubMed Central: "CAMERA: A Community Resource for Metagenomics"
- DOE Microbial Genomics: Microbial Genome Databases
- Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation: Leading Department of Energy Genome Scientist to Direct Joint Marine Microbial Metagenomics Cyberinfrastructure Initiative (press release)
- CAMERA: What is CAMERA?
- CAMERA: Reference Datasets
- Anchorage Daily News: Scientist stalks wily microbes from sailboat
- Science Daily: Millions Of New Genes, Thousands Of New Protein Families Found In Ocean Sampling Expedition (press release)
- CAMERA: Full Datasets
- CAMERA: What is CAMERA?
- About CAMERA: People