Como Ama una Mujer
|Como Ama una Mujer|
|Studio album by Jennifer Lopez|
|Released||March 23, 2007|
|Jennifer Lopez chronology|
|Singles from Como Ama una Mujer|
Como Ama una Mujer is the fifth studio album by American entertainer Jennifer Lopez. It was released on March 23, 2007 by Epic Records. The album received generally mixed to some positive reviews, critics deemed this album vocally superior her previous ones, however others questioned a lack of highlights within Como Ama una mujer.
Inspiration and development
Plans for Lopez to release a Spanish-language album materialized in 2004, when Lopez's then-husband Marc Anthony was finishing up production of his ninth studio album Amar Sin Mentiras (2004) with Estéfano and Julio Reyes. Lopez went into the recording studio with them to record a song entitled "Escapémonos", as a duet with Anthony. She enjoyed working on the song so much that she decided to record a full-length Spanish album; something she had wanted to do for years. Prior to breaking out into the music scene in May 1999 with her single "If You Had My Love", Lopez always pictured her music career to be in Spanish. According to Lopez: "My life took a different turn, which was great for me. But my heart was always kind of on the Spanish side." Before recording began for her first Spanish album, Lopez recorded and released her fourth English studio album Rebirth (2005).
In early 2006 it was announced that Lopez would release her first Spanish album and her fifth studio album Como Ama una Mujer later that year. According to Estéfano, Como Ama una Mujer will "prove critics wrong" from its "big songs that require a voice"; referring to the critics about Lopez having a "limited" vocal tone.
After working on the album, Lopez said that she matured as singer, continuing by stating that: "Marc gave me confidence in the studio as well. When someone believes in you so much, you don't want to let them down. And it's also the material. I think this material lent itself to my voice. And it actually made me approach my new English album in a different way. I have a different standard now".
For promotion of Como Ama Una Mujer, Lopez traveled with her husband, Marc Athony, back to the Bronx, to meet fans and sign copies of her album in her old neighborhood. Over 500 people attended. In an interview, Lopez stated "It touches my heart to be able to bring this album back to my neighborhood, back to my home."
The album's artwork was shot by Tony Duran who worked with Jennifer for her previous projects. jennifer's photo has some kind of emotion in a classic way, glamorous pose, her hair pulled back and her hand around her neck. the album includes a booklet containing the songs lyrics,and Personnel.
|The Boston Globe||(positive)|
The album currently has a score of 45 out of 100 from Metacritic, based on mixed to positive reviews from music critics, who agreed that Lopez's vocals had improved. The York Press, on the album, stated that "Lopez stunned many with her Spanish language Como Ama una Mujer, which at last proved that she is a major musical force."
In his review of Como ama una Mujer, Tom Patrick said "If you like Lopez and her music, then you’ll likely find her new CD enjoyable. It's good to dance to, has some emotional tunes and a bit of variety, and the Spanish influence reaches beyond the vocals into the music. If you don’t like J.Lo, however, you might find yourself wishing the album were as abbreviated as her nickname." Chris Willman from Entertainment Weekly gave the album a C+, saying: "Passions run high and pulses low on this almost entirely balladic collection, which seems ripe for a series of videos full of heartbroken hair-brushing [...] Como Ama does represent a victory for Lopez by offering fairly persuasive proof that, contrary to rumor, she can sing, and without a regiment of background choralists. All that bulking up she's been doing at the vocal gym isn't enough, though, to turn flaccid torch songs into muscle. The production/writing team of Estéfano, Julio Reyes, and Marc Anthony mixes slight flamenco flavoring with assists from the London Symphony Orchestra; passable easy-listening-en-español weepies like "Me Haces Falta" don't begin to live up to their florid, romance-novel lyrics ("La verdad, estoy mal/Es sufrir, es gritar"— translation: "The truth is I hurt/I'm suffering, I'm screaming"). Torpor, it turns out, really is the universal language." Stephen Thomas Erlewine from AllMusic said "She acquits herself well as a vocalist − she never indulges in vocal gymnastics, and she can carry a tune strongly". He also said the album wasn't as "daring as Shakira."
James Reed from The Boston Globe gave the album a positive review−"'Como Ama Una Mujer' in spite of its soft-focus romantic leanings, is a sincere album, organic in its instrumentation and introspective in its lyrics [...] for what is surely Lopez's most tasteful and reserved album yet. She's still Jenny from the block, only now the block has moved out of the gritty Bronx onto a quiet side street in the burbs. Lopez is far too savvy to make a straight ballads album, though. Her idea of a love song is more classic, opting for string sections over canned synthesizers. Yes, that's a real-life piano opening the title track, with a minor-chord progression that sounds oddly similar to Randy Newman's "In Germany Before the War." A delicate ballad with a simmering introduction, it opens wide to an over-the-top chorus that would sound best sung in unison by an arena of swaying fans, illuminated cellphones hoisted."
Como Ama una Mujer debuted at number 10 on the Billboard 200 Jennifer Lopez is one of only few performers to debut in the top-ten of the Billboard 200 with a Spanish-language album (other artists who achieved this are Shakira – who to this date holds the record for highest debut for a Spanish-language album – Maná, Juanes, Daddy Yankee, Don Omar, Wisin & Yandel and Selena). It sold a total of 49,452 copies in its opening week.
Como ama una Mujer marks the highest debut sales in the United States for a Spanish album and the highest digital sales for a Spanish album. It went straight to number one in Switzerland. The album also stayed atop the Billboard Latin Albums Chart for 4 consecutive weeks; spending 26 weeks on the chart before leaving the top 100. With the Univision airing of the drama TV-series Como Ama Una Mujer featuring songs from the album, the album went back to the chart, hitting the #67 position after Lopez's performance of "Por Qué te marchas" on the 3rd episode of the show. The album reached the top ten in Germany, Greece, Spain and Italy.
|2.||"Me Haces Falta"||Estéfano||Anthony||
|3.||"Como Ama una Mujer"||Estéfano||
|4.||"Te Voy a Querer"||
|5.||"Por Qué te Marchas"||Estéfano||Anthony||
|8.||"Amarte es Todo"||Estéfano||
- Vic Anesini – Mastering
- Marc Anthony – Arranger, Vocals (background), Producer, Executive Producer
- Eduardo Avena – Percussion
- Odisa Beltrán – Production Coordination
- Andres Bermudez – Mixing
- Marco Britti – Drums
- Jorge Calandrelli – String Arrangements
- César Castillo – Quena, Sikus
- José Garcia De La Rosa – Engineer
- Sebastian DePeyrecave – Guitar, Assistant Engineer
- Nailton Bispo "Meia Noiche" Dos Santos – Percussion
- Tony Duran – Photography
- Vicky Echeverri – Vocals (background)
- Estéfano – Vocals (background), Producer
- Mauricio Gasca – Arranger, Programming and Recording Engineer
- Armando Gola – Bass
- Mario Guini – Guitar (Acoustic), Guitar, Guitar (Electric)
- Anthony Kilhoffer – Engineer
- Jadi Leesley – Stylist
- The London Symphony Orchestra – Strings
- Jennifer Lopez – Executive Producer
- Juan José "Chaqueño" Martínez – Percussion
- Pedro Namerow – Assistant Engineer
- José Luis Pagán – Guitar (Acoustic), Guitar, Arranger, Guitar (Electric), Keyboards, Programming, Engineer
- José Luis Pagani – Arranger, Programming
- Ricardo Tiki Pasillas – Percussion, Drums, Vocals (background)
- Ken Paves – Hair Stylist
- Julian Peploe – Art Direction, Design
- Erben Perez – Bass
- Gustavo Pichon Dal Pont – Engineer
- Julio C. Reyes – Piano, Accordion, Arranger, Conductor, Keyboards, Programming, Producer, Engineer, String Arrangements, Mixing
- Claudia Salgado – Production Coordination
- Bruce Swedien – Engineer, Mixing
- Guillermo Vadala – Bass
- Matthew Vanleeuwen – Make-Up
- Peter Wade – Engineer, Mixing
Sales and certifications
|Greece (IFPI Greece)||Gold||7,500^|
|Switzerland (IFPI Switzerland)||Platinum||30,000x|
|Russia (NFPF)||2× Platinum||40,000*|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- "She Is 'Woman,' Hear Her Roar". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 2012-06-03.
- Jessica (2007-03-08). "Celebrity Watch: Jennifer Lopez celebrates release of her Spanish album". Sawf News. Retrieved 2012-06-03.
- Thomas, Stephen. "Rebirth – Jennifer Lopez : Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 2012-06-03.
- "Billboard – Google Books". Billboard. 2006-02-04. Retrieved 2012-06-03.
- "Jennifer Lopez – Rebirth – Album Review". Contactmusic.com. Retrieved 2012-04-01.
- "Jennifer Lopez – J.Lo To Prove Critics Wrong With Spanish Album – Contactmusic News". Contactmusic.com. 2006-01-30. Retrieved 2012-06-03.
- "Jennifer Lopez Promotes Spanish Album in Home Bronx". (novinite.com). March 29, 2007. Retrieved 2012-01-29.
- "Lopez returns to the Bronx to promote Spanish album". The Albany Herald. Albany, New York: google.com/newspapers. March 30, 2007. Retrieved 2012-01-29.
- Metacritic reviews
- Como Ama una Mujer at AllMusic
- Reed, James (March 27, 2007). "Lopez turns the lights down low". The Boston Globe.
- Entertainment Weekly review
- Spurtnikmusic review
- "Britney Spears, Blackout (Jive) ****; Jennifer Lopez, Brave (Epic) ****". November 8, 2007. Retrieved 2012-01-29.
- Patrick, Tom (March 23, 2007). "CD Review - Jennifer Lopez's Como Ama Una Mujer". Retrieved 7-3-2012.
- "Music Albums, Top 200 Albums & Music Album Charts". Billboard.com. 2012-09-08. Retrieved 2012-09-13.
- Harris, Chris (2007-10-17). "Kid Rock's Jesus Overpowers Bruce Springsteen's Magic On Billboard Chart - Music, Celebrity, Artist News". MTV.com. Retrieved 2012-09-13.
- "Jennifer Lopez's First Spanish-Language Album is an Instant #1 on the Billboard Latin Chart: Como Ama Una Mujer Breaks Records with Highest Sales for an Artist's Debut Spanish-Language Album". New York: (prweb.com). April 6, 2007. Retrieved 2012-01-29.
- Steffen Hung (April 13, 2007). "Austria Top 40 Albums". Austriancharts.at. Retrieved October 7, 2009.
- "Belgium Top 50 Albums". Acharts.us. Retrieved October 7, 2009.
- "Belgium Top 50 Albums". Ultratop. Retrieved November 13, 2011.
- Steffen Hung. "Dutch Top 100 Albums". Dutchcharts.nl. Retrieved October 7, 2009.
- Steffen Hung. "Finnish Top 40 Albums". Finnishcharts.com. Retrieved October 7, 2009.[dead link]
- Steffen Hung (March 31, 2007). "France Top 200 Albums". Lescharts.com. Retrieved October 7, 2009.
- Chart History of "Como Ama Una Mujer"
- IFPI Greece - Combined Albums chart (week 24/2007) at the Wayback Machine (archived July 2, 2007)
- "Italy Top 75 Albums"[dead link]
- Steffen Hung. "Mexican Albums Chart". Mexicancharts.com. Retrieved October 7, 2009.
- "Poland Top 50 Albums". Zpav.pl. September 27, 2009. Retrieved October 7, 2009.
- Steffen Hung. "Portugal Top 30 Albums". Portuguesecharts.com. Retrieved October 7, 2009.
- "Spain Top 100 Albums"[dead link]
- Steffen Hung. "Swedish Top 60 Albums". Swedishcharts.com. Retrieved October 7, 2009.
- Steffen Hung. "Jennifer Lopez Discography — Chart History in Switzerland". Hitparade.ch. Retrieved November 13, 2011.
- "Jennifer Lopez Album & Song Chart History" Billboard 200 for Jennifer Lopez. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 2 June 2012.
- "Como Ama una Mujer". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 2011-11-15.
- "Year-End Charts: Latin Albums". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 2011-11-15.
- "Year-End Charts: Latin Albums". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 2011-11-15.
- "Greek album certifications – Jennifer Lopez – Como ama una Mujer" (in Greek). IFPI Greece.
- "Adatbázis – Arany- és platinalemezek – 2007" (in Hungarian). Mahasz.
- "Spanish album certifications – Jennifer Lopez – Como ama una Mujer" (PDF) (in Spanish). Productores de Música de España.
- "The Official Swiss Charts and Music Community: Awards (Jennifer Lopez; 'Como ama una Mujer')". Hung Medien.
- "Russian album certifications – Jennifer Lopez – Como ama una Mujer" (in Russian). National Federation of Phonogram Producers (NFPF).