Compact Kinetic Energy Missile
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2012)|
The Compact Kinetic Energy Missile (CKEM) was a developmental program to produce a hypersonic anti-tank guided missile for the U.S. Army. Lockheed Martin was the primary contractor. The program was the third in a series of projects based on kinetic energy missiles that stretches back to 1981s Vought HVM through the 1990s LOSAT and finally to the CKEM. The Army Aviation and Missile Command (AMCOM) developed this program as part of the Army's Future Combat Systems. This missile was primarily an anti-tank weapon, and could be mounted on land vehicles and low-altitude aircraft. The goal of these weapons was to demonstrate a state-of-the-art system for the next-generation. The program has since been cancelled.
These are the specifications for the missile:
- Length: 1.5 metres (4.9 ft)
- Motor: Solid-fuel rocket
- Max range: 10 kilometres (6.2 mi)
- Max weight: 45 kilograms (99 lb)
- Velocity: Mach 6.5+
- Warhead: Kinetic energy penetrator
- Penetrator energy: 10 megajoules (equivalent to that of a 10-ton truck traveling at 100 mph (161 km/hr))
- October 2003 – Lockheed Martin receives $21.3 million contract for CKEM Advanced Technology Demonstration (ATD) phase.
- September 2006 – The CKEM was successfully flight tested against a reinforced urban structure.
- February 2007 – A T-72 tank equipped with Explosive Reactive Armor was successfully engaged using CKEM at a range of 3400 meters. The test took place at Eglin Air Force Base, FL.
- Wolfram Alpha
- Lockheed Martin Receives US$21 Million Compact Kinetic Energy Missile Contract — LM press release.
- Lockheed Martin’s Compact Kinetic Energy Missile Successful in Flight Test Against Reinforced Urban Structure — LM press release.
- Lockheed Martin’s Compact Kinetic Energy Missile Successful in Final Flight Test — LM press release.
- Compact Kinetic Energy Missile, Lockheed Martin
- Lockheed Martin CKEM — Designation Systems
- Compact Kinetic Energy Missile (CKEM) — Global Security
- CKEM — Deagel
- Compact Kinetic Energy Missile CKEM — Defense Update
|This guided missile-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|