|Key people||Ben Kerkhof
|Type of site||Price comparison service|
|Available in||French, Dutch, Finnish, Flemish|
Vergelijk.nl was founded in 1999 by Ben Kerkhof, Jean Paul Soethout and Tjibbe de Jong and was the first price comparison website in the Netherlands. In 2000, Vergelijk.nl co-founder Ben Kerkhof started Vertaa.fi, a price comparison website based in Finland. Business was expanded to Belgium in 2002 with the start of Vergelijk.be and in 2006 Vergelijk.nl acquired Dutch competitor Elcheapo.nl.
Compare Group was founded shortly after the acquisition of Elcheapo.nl in 2006, in order to centralize the management of the different labels. Since the founding of the Compare Group, business was expanded further to France and French-speaking Belgium with the foundation of Comparer.fr and Comparer.be in 2009. Ben Kerkhof has been the CEO of Compare Group since its foundation.
Although Compare Group provides some insights in monthly visitor amounts, it does not publish exact visitor numbers. However it is known that in 2004 Vergelijk.nl welcomed its 20 millionth visitor since its founding in 1999 and passed the 40 million visitors mark in 2006.
- Comparestreet.co.uk, a price comparison website based in England. The website was founded in 2002 and discontinued in 2006.
- Adultcompare.nl, a website aimed at comparing prices of erotic and adult products which was founded in 2002. It was discontinued as a separate project in 2004 when it was integrated in Vergelijk.nl.
- Superdagdeal.nl, a website founded in 2010. Superdagdeal.nl focused on offering one special deal which lasted for 24 hours. The website was sold in 2011 to GoldenExperience.
- Check Magazine, a print magazine by BesteProduct.nl, Vergelijk.nl, Independer.nl and Zoover, was introduced in 2008 and wrote mainly about trends and developments in online shopping. Check Magazine was discontinued after three issues due to a lack of subscribers and advertisement revenue.
- 2003: Arbalet - Belgian comparison competitor Arbalet was acquired in 2003. Its activities were incorporated and continued in Vergelijk.be. Arbalet ceased to exist as a separate entity.
- 2004: Consumerdesk.nl - Consumerdesk.nl was acquired along with other assets from the bankrupt company Cedron.
- 2006: Elcheapo.nl - Competing price comparison website Elcheapo.nl was acquired from De Telegraaf in 2006. No details on the acquisition have been disclosed.
Compare Group’s business model consists of three main revenue drivers:
- Lead generation for web shops using a cost per click model.
- Selling advertising space to Google AdSense and media agencies (using a CPM based model).
- A cost per sale model which provides Compare Group a percentage of the order value for every order placed on Compare Group’s websites. Although Compare Group receives the orders, the actual processing of orders is done by web shops. Web shops receive the order value subtracted by Compare Group’s compensation (Vergelijk.nl only).
Consolidated revenue of Compare Group:
|Year||Revenue (in million €)||Growth|
No figures on profits or losses have been published by Compare Group.
- 2011: Comparer.fr was elected in the top 10 favorite French comparison sites.
- 2012: Vergelijk.nl won the High Growth Award of its region.
- 2013: Vergelijk.nl was nominated for the Best Comparison Website Award at the Dutch Thuiswinkel Awards.
Compare Group's comparison websites:
- 40 miljoen bezoekers voor Vergelijk.nl
- Nieuwe vergelijkingssite voor erotische producten
- Vergelijk.nl verkoopt Superdagdeal aan GoldenExperience
- Vergelijk.nl verkoopt site flash sales
- Prijsvergelijkers stappen samen in papieren magazine
- Vergelijkingssites stappen uit papieren magazine
- Consumentenmagazine Check stopt voorlopig
- Prijsvergelijkingssite Vergelijk.be neemt Arbalet over
- Vergelijk.nl neemt ook deel boedel Cedron over
- Vergelijk.nl met shopping Beslist.nl te snel af
- Classement NetObserver® des sites préférés des internautes français
- High Growth Awards winnaars 2012
- Genomineerden Thuiswinkel Awards XL 2013