Comparison of online charity donation services in the United Kingdom
The page is a comparison of online charity donation services in the UK.
|Company||Profit-making Activity?||Commission||Card Processing Fee||Other Fees||Source|
|Justgiving||Yes||5% including on gift aid||£0.13||£15+VAT/month|||
|Virgin Money Giving||No||2% excluding gift aid||£0.16||£100+VAT start-up fee|||
|PayPal||Unknown||1.4% (on domestic donations to non-profits)||£0.20||None|||
|Localgiving.com||No||5% including Gift Aid||£0.32||£60+VAT/year|||
|Bmycharity||Unknown (BMY Limited hosts the service and is for-profit)||0%||£0.16||£150 (+VAT?) start-up fee|||
|UK Toremet||No||5% including on GiftAid||PayPal fees||None|||
The table below gives examples of the various transaction fees for a £10 donation using each organisation, assuming they claim back the tax for the charity using gift aid. (Remember that charities may also be charged set-up fees and monthly fees as detailed above.)
|BT MyDonate||Justgiving||Virgin Money Giving||PayPal||Localgiving.com||Bmycharity|
|Tax reclaimed (Gift Aid)||£2.50||£2.50||£2.50||£0.00 (Charities may reclaim directly with HMRC)||£2.50||£2.50|
|Commission||None||£0.64 (= 5% of 10 + 2.5)||£0.20 (= 2% of 10)||£0.14 (=1.4% of 10)||£0.63 (= 5% of 10 + 2.5)||£0.00|
|Card processing fee||£0.15||£0.13||£0.16||£0.20||£0.32||£0.16|
|Charity receives||£12.35||£11.73||£12.14||£9.66 (£12.16 including directly reclaimed Gift Aid)||£11.55||£12.34|
- "Charity Blog: BT MyDonate versus JustGiving and Virgin Money Giving". SOS Children. Retrieved 2013-03-26.
- "JustGiving for Charities. Pricing and joining". JustGiving. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- "Cost of fundraising and registering your charity with us". Virgin Money Giving. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- "Accept donations through PayPal". PayPal. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- "Localgiving.com - Our fees". Localgiving.com. Retrieved 2014-03-07.
- "For Charities". Bmycharity. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- "Become a Recipient Agency". UK Toremet. Retrieved 2013-07-23.