Compass (Lady Antebellum song)
|Single by Lady Antebellum|
|from the album Golden|
|Released||October 14, 2013|
|Writer(s)||Mikkel Eriksen, Tor Erik Hemransen, Ammar Malik, Ross Golan, Daniel Omelio, Emile Haynie|
|Producer(s)||Nathan Chapman, Lady Antebellum|
|Lady Antebellum singles chronology|
"Compass" is a song recorded by American country music group Lady Antebellum. The song was written by members of the pop/R&B production team Stargate, and was produced by Nathan Chapman and Lady Antebellum. It was released as the third overall single from the group's fifth studio album, Golden, on October 1, 2013 by Capitol Records Nashville, and is included on the deluxe edition re-issue of the album.
Background and composition
After the May 2013 release of Golden, Lady Antebellum took a short break before returning to the studio to continue working on new music, rather than immediately going on tour to promote the album. The band came across the song "Compass" and felt so passionate about it that, despite not having a project to record it for and it coming from outside their Nashville comfort zone, they decided to record it. "From the minute we first heard it," group member Hillary Scott explained to Billboard, "we believed in the message and the overall feel of the song. We knew we could put our own little overall spin on it. We had to have the fans hear it – immediately." Scott also elaborated on the sonic departure of the song from the group's previous recordings, stating that the prevalent banjo and fiddle in "Compass" were missing from their repertoire and country music as a whole, and credited the song with "reinvigorating" the band creatively and inspiring them to pursue new musical directions.
Matt Bjorke of Roughstock described "Compass" as an "easily likable song" unlike anything else on country radio, with some of the best lyrics in recent country music releases and an "infectious, percussive and melodic melody". He also noted its potential to be the group's biggest crossover hit since "Need You Now". Taste of Country compared the bluegrass-inspired sound of the song to the music of Mumford and Sons, while praising "Compass" for being a "burst of positive energy... that relies on traditional country instruments" and suggested that the song could pave the way for bluegrass music's acceptance into the mainstream.
The song has sold 546,000 copies in the US as of April 2014.
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||51|
|Canada Country (Billboard)||2|
|US Billboard Hot 100||46|
|US Country Airplay (Billboard)||1|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||6|
"When She Says Baby"
by Jason Aldean
|Billboard Country Airplay
March 22, 2014
by Frankie Ballard
|Canada (Music Canada)||Gold||40,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
|Canada||October 1, 2013||Digital download|
|United States||October 14, 2013||Radio airplay|
- Blistein, Jon (September 30, 2013). "Lady Antebellum Share New Single 'Compass'". Rolling Stone. Wenner Media. Retrieved 1 October 2013.
- Dauphin, Chuck (September 30, 2013). "Lady Antebellum Point to 'Compass' as New Single". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 1 October 2013.
- "Lady Antebellum "Compass" Sheet Music". MusicNotes.com. Retrieved 13 May 2014.
- "Lady Antebellum, 'Compass' [Listen]". Taste of Country. Townsquare Media. Retrieved 1 October 2013.
- Bjorke, Matt (Oct 1, 2013). "Single Review: Lady Antebellum - Compass". Roughstock. Cheri Media. Retrieved 1 October 2013.
- "CMT : Videos : Lady Antebellum : Compass". Country Music Television. Retrieved December 11, 2013.
- Matt Bjorke (April 9, 2014). "Country Chart News - The Top 30 Digital Singles - April 9, 2014: Play It Again as Luke Hits #1, FGL #2, Hunter Hayes and Justin Moore Earn AcM Boosts". Roughstock.
- "Lady Antebellum Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for Lady Antebellum.
- "Lady Antebellum Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Canada Country for Lady Antebellum.
- "Lady Antebellum Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Lady Antebellum.
- "Lady Antebellum Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Country Airplay for Lady Antebellum.
- "Lady Antebellum Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Lady Antebellum.
- "Canadian single certifications – Lady Antebellum – Compass". Music Canada. Retrieved March 17, 2014.
- "Compass - Single by Lady Antebellum". iTunes. Apple Inc. Retrieved 3 October 2013.
- "(R)R&R :: Going For Adds :: Country". Radio and Records. Retrieved 3 October 2013.