||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (October 2013)|
Composite Software, Inc was previously a privately held data virtualization software company based San Mateo, California. Composite Software was founded in October 2001 by Michael R. Abbott. In 2003, former Active Software founder and webMethods CTO, Jim Green joined Composite Software as CEO. On July 30, 2013,Composite Software was acquired by Cisco Systems for approximately US $180M. 
Composite Software was cited as an "industry leader" in the Forrester Research "2012 Forrester Wave: Data Virtualization" study for its help in advancing data virtualization to its current form, known under a variety of names including data federation and Information as a Service.
Composite Data Virtualization Platform
The Composite Data Virtualization Platform is data virtualization middleware that "brings together data from multiple, disparate sources -- anywhere across the extended enterprise-- into a unified, logical virtualized data layer for consumption by nearly any front-end business solution including portals, reports, applications and more."
The Composite Data Virtualization Platform consists of:
- Composite Studio which includes an integrated development environment for source data introspection, relationship discovery, data modeling, view and data service development, and revision control;
- Composite Information Server which includes a query engine with patent-pending query optimization technology, caching, data access, data publishing, data quality, security, data governance and a metadata repository;
- Composite PerformancePlus Adapters for Greenplum, Hadoop/Hive, HP Vertica, IBM DB2, IBM Informix, IBM Netezza, Microsoft Access, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle Database, Oracle MySQL, SAP Sybase, SAP Sybase IQ and Teradata;
- Composite Discovery to locate key entities and reveal hidden data relationships within enterprise data assets;
- Composite Active Cluster for scalability that maintains continuous availability of data services to fulfill service level agreements;
- Composite Monitor to provide comprehensive coverage in a real-time view for both systems management and data governance.
Composite Software's data virtualization software is used at banks, pharmaceutical companies, energy companies, communications, consumer and industrial companies, and government agencies including the U.S. Army.
- Ericson, Jim (December 2007). "Virtual Reality". Retrieved 2011-03-29. Information Management
- "Cisco Has Acquired Composite Software". Retrieved 2013-07-30. Cisco Press Release
- "2012 Forrester Wave Report: Data Virtualization". Retrieved 2012-01-05. Forrester Research
- Bishop, Tony (2008-03-10). "Information as a service". Retrieved 2010-03-26. InfoWorld
-  Composite Software Official Site