Compton High School
|Compton High School|
|The billboard of Compton High School|
|601 S. Acacia Avenue
Compton, CA, 90220
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Compton Unified School District|
The school first opened in 1896 as Compton Union High School and then later reestablished as Compton Senior High School in the 1950s after Compton College separated from the high school district and opened its new campus at 1111 East Artesia Boulevard in 1953.
During the 1960s there was a dramatic transition from a Caucasian student body to one which was predominantly African-American. Today, Compton High School is over two-thirds Latino as immigrants settled in South Los Angeles.
Compton College's mascot name is the Tartars, named after the Turkic Tatars, so the mascot name for Compton High School became the Tartar Babies. The mascot itself is "Baby Tartar," who wears a diaper and carries a big sword.
- Viviana Hernandez, Class of 2001, Kanye West Back Up singer/dancer
- Rod D. Barksdale (Athlete) 1986-1987 Los Anggeles Raiders/Dallas Cowboys
- Ken Carpenter, 1936 Olympic discus throw gold medal winner
- Alfonso Freeman, actor
- William Hanna, animator and co-founder of Hanna-Barbera
- Pete Rozelle, NFL commissioner
- Howard E. Scott, guitarist and co-founder of the funk band War
- Duke Snider, Hall of Fame baseball player
- The Game, Rapper
- William Cameron Townsend, Bible translator
- DeMar DeRozan, NBA player for the Toronto Raptors
- Eazy E, Famous rapper from the rap group NWA
- Polly Burgen, Movie, television and stage actress, singer, entrepreneur.
- James Coburn, Movie and television actor, Oscar winner
- Don Klosterman (athlete) professional football player, General Manager of LA Rams,and other teams
- Dean Jeffries car designer & builder, spin striper and movie stuntman
- Cornelius Johnson 1936 Olympic high jump champion
- Nadine Conner. Opera Star
- Marv Fleming(athlete) Green Bay Packers, NFL Hall of Fame
- Jim Harryman (multi-sport athlete) football,rugby, baseball, boxing,ITC
- Troy Ruttman race driver
- Woody Sauldsberry (athlete) basketball
- George Selleck (athlete) basketball
- John William Finn (hero) Congressional Medal of Honor WWII
- Elliott Pinkney (artist) muralist
- Larry Cenotto (writer) journalist, radio announcer, TV, author, Amador County Archivist.
- Ullis Williams (athlete)1964 Olympian in track, (educator) President of Compton College
- Jim Marshall (athlete/coach/scout)over 60 years in professional baseball
- Richard Sherman NFl Cornerback for the Seattle Seahawks
- Jeff Wayman Former Head Coach of the Brooklyn Nets
Datone Jones (football) NFL Green Bay Packers
- The City Of Compton
- Marc's Collection of High School Mascots Part 1: A-E
- Fisher, Marc (November 17, 2005). "Block That Mascot? Bite Your Tongue". The Washington Post.