Compton High School
|Compton High School|
The billboard of Compton High School
|601 S. Acacia Avenue
Compton, CA, 90220
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Compton Unified School District|
|School color(s)||Columbia Blue and White
The school first opened in 1896 as Compton Union High School and then later reestablished as Compton Senior High School in the 1950s after Compton College separated from the high school district and opened its new campus at 1111 East Artesia Boulevard in 1953.
During the 1960s there was a dramatic transition from a Caucasian student body to one which was predominantly African-American. Today, Compton High School is over eighty percent Latino as immigrants settled in South Los Angeles.
Compton College's mascot name is the Tartars, named after the Turkic Tatars, so the mascot name for Compton High School became the Tartar Babies. The mascot itself is "Baby Tartar," who wears a diaper and carries a big sword.
- Ken Carpenter: 1936 Olympic discus throw gold medal winner
- Alfonso Freeman: actor
- William Hanna: animator and co-founder of Hanna-Barbera
- Pete Rozelle: former NFL commissioner
- Howard E. Scott: guitarist and co-founder of the funk band War
- Duke Snider: Hall of Fame baseball player
- The Game: Rapper
- William Cameron Townsend: Bible translator
- DeMar DeRozan: NBA player for the Toronto Raptors
- Tim Harris: NFL player
- Eazy-E: rapper from the group N.W.A
- Polly Bergen: Movie, television and stage actress, singer, entrepreneur.
- James Coburn: Movie and television actor, Oscar winner
- Don Klosterman: (athlete) professional football player, General Manager of LA Rams,and other teams
- Dean Jeffries: car designer & builder and movie stuntman
- Cornelius Johnson: 1936 Olympic high jump champion
- Nadine Conner: Opera Star
- Marv Fleming: (athlete) Green Bay Packers, NFL Hall of Fame
- Troy Ruttman: racecar driver
- Woody Sauldsberry: (athlete) basketball
- John William Finn: (hero) Congressional Medal of Honor WWII
- Ulis Williams: (athlete) 1964 Olympian in track, (educator) President of Compton College
- Jim Marshall: (athlete/coach/scout) over 60 years in professional baseball
- Datone Jones: (football) NFL Green Bay Packers
- The City Of Compton
- Marc's Collection of High School Mascots Part 1: A-E
- Fisher, Marc (November 17, 2005). "Block That Mascot? Bite Your Tongue". The Washington Post.