|Method(s)||Free/libre web tools & free resources|
|Motto||Encouraging the Commons|
Comunes is a non-profit organization with the stated aims of encouraging the Commons and facilitating the grassroots work through free/libre web tools. Previously known as Ourproject.org, this collective established itself as legal entity in 2009, forming Comunes. Nowadays it serves as an umbrella organization for several projects related to the Commons.
Philosophy and aims
Among the Comunes' objectives are to provide legal protection to member projects, together with technical infrastructure. It claims to be inspired by Software in the Public Interest organization, which provides similar protection to free software projects. Comunes member projects must focus on encouraging the protection or expansion of the Commons. Comunes Manifesto shows a view on the social movements as nodes in a social network, analysing which problems this ecosystem has and proposing Comunes web tools for diminishing them.
Ourproject.org is a web-based collaborative free content repository. It acts as a central location for offering web space and tools for projects of any topic, focusing in free culture and free knowledge. It aims to extend the ideas and methodology of free software to social areas and free culture in general. Thus, it provides multiple web services (hosting, mailing lists, wiki, ftp, forums…) to an online community of social/cultural/artistic/educational projects as long as they share their contents with Creative Commons licenses (or other free/libre licenses). Active since 2002, nowadays it hosts 1200 projects and its services receive more than 1,000,000 monthly visits.
Kune is a software platform for federated social networking and collaborative work, focusing on workgroups rather than in individuals. It aims to allow the creation of online spaces of collaborative work, where organizations and individuals can build projects online, coordinate common agendas, set up virtual meetings and join organizations with similar interests. It is programmed using GWT, on top of the XMPP protocol and integrating Wave-In-A-Box. Licensed under Affero GPL, it is under development since 2007 and it launched a beta and production site in April 2012.
Move Commons (MC) is a web tool for initiatives, collectives and NGOs to declare and visibilize the core principles they are committed to. The idea behind MC follows the same mechanics of Creative Commons tagging cultural works, providing a user-friendly, bottom-up, labelling system for each initiative, with four meaningful icons, and some keywords. It aims at boosting the visibility and diffusion of such initiatives, and building a network among related initiatives/collectives, allowing mutual discovery. Besides, newcomers could easily understand the collective approach in their website, or discover collectives matching their field/location/interests with a semantic search. It has been presented in several forums. Nowadays it is in beta version, but there are already a few organizations using their MC badges.
Comunes has developed partnership with several organizations:
- GRASIA (Group of Software Agents, Engineering & Applications): Research group of Universidad Complutense de Madrid, it is collaborating with Comunes offering joint grants to students and providing hardware resources.
- American University of Science and Technology (Beirut): offering students the chance of framing their senior project and Master theses within Comunes projects
- The Master of Free Software of Universidad Rey Juan Carlos (Madrid): offering students to do their compulsory Master internships in the free software community of Comunes projects.
- Medialab-Prado: Serves as a forum to present Comunes initiatives. One of them, Move Commons, is part of their Commons Lab.
- IEPALA Foundation: It has hired a programmer for the development of Kune, and provides technical resources for an alpha-testing environment.
- Xsto.info: Free software cooperative that provides technical infrastructure to Comunes without charge.
- Mass Araya, Elizabeth Roxana; Borsetti Gregorio Vidotti, Silvana Aparecida (15 July 2012). "Creative Commons: a Convergence Model Between the Ideal of Commons and the Possibilities of Creation in Contemporary TimesOpposed to Copyright Impediments". In Baptista, Ana Alice; Linde, Peter; Lavesson, Niklas et al. Social Shaping of Digital Publishing: Exploring the Interplay Between Culture and Technology. IOS Press. pp. 3–11. ISBN 9781614990642. Retrieved 19 August 2012.
- "P2P Foundation on the Comunes Association". Retrieved 3 February 2011.
- "About the Commons". Comunes Association. Retrieved 3 February 2011.
- "Comunes Legal Statutes". Retrieved 3 February 2011.
- "Comunes Manifesto". Retrieved 5 February 2011.
- "Challenges to connecting nodes in the ecosystem of social movements". Retrieved 5 February 2011.
- "Ourproject.org Homepage". Retrieved 2 February 2011.
- "Unos 3.000 ciclistas se concentrarán en Madrid entre hoy y el domingo en una nueva edición de 'La criticona'". Europa Press news agency. 28 April 2010. Retrieved 3 February 2011.
- Kleinberg, David (2008). Handbook for Language Learning Resources at Winthrop University. South Carolina, USA: Winthrop University.
- "Jornada de Apoyo al Pueblo Palestino (Madrid)". Kaos en la Red. 6 November 2008. Retrieved 3 February 2011.
- De Pedro, Xavier; et al (2006). "Writing documents collaboratively in Higher education using Traditional vs. Wiki methodology (I)". The Fourth Congress of the International University Teaching and Innovation (IV CIDUI). 10.
- "Ourproject boosts!". Comunes Blog. 2 October 2011. Retrieved 13 December 2011.
- "Kune Homepage". Retrieved 3 February 2011.
- Boeing, Niels (31 August 2012). "Das neue Internet" [The new internet]. Die Zeit (in German) (Germany). Retrieved 5 September 2012.
- "Software libre, hardware libre, ¿servicios libres?". Libertonia News. 27 May 2009. Retrieved 3 February 2011.
- "Kune project in Ohloh". Retrieved 3 February 2011.
- "Colabora con Kune! Llamado a desarrolladores/as". Peru Free Software Association. Retrieved 3 February 2011.
- "Move Commons Homepage". Retrieved 3 February 2011.
- "Move Commons te ayuda a definir públicamente tus proyectos". Barrapunto (Spanish Slashdot). 26 July 2010. Retrieved 4 February 2011.
- "Move Commons, un nouveau système de marqueurs pour les initiatives du libre et au-delà". LinuxFR (French Slashdot). 29 December 2010. Retrieved 4 February 2011.
- "Move Commons: Moving Beyond Creative Commons". Glyn Moody's blog "Open...". 23 July 2010. Retrieved 3 February 2011.
- "Medialab-Prado debate on Move Commons (video)". 25 November 2010. Retrieved 3 February 2011.
- "Mozilla Drumbeat platform: page for Move Commons project and its supporters". Retrieved 3 February 2011.
- "Move Commons activity scheduled in Mozilla Drumbeat Festival 2010". 5 November 2010. Retrieved 3 February 2011.
- James, Nathaniel. "Drumbeat Festival Evaluation 1: Objectives & Outcomes". Retrieved 4 February 2011.
- "Creative Commons Grant proposal of Move Commons". 30 June 2010. Retrieved 3 February 2011.
- "Seeks project homepage (with MC badge)". Retrieved 3 February 2011.
- "Derecho Internet homepage (with MC badge)". Retrieved 3 February 2011.
- "Engineers without frontiers - Youth (Asturias, Spain) (with MC badge)". Retrieved 3 February 2011.
- "Alifa free Culture Magazine (with MC badge)". Alifa. Retrieved 3 February 2011.
- "Asturias Bycicle association (with MC badge)". Retrieved 3 February 2011.
- "White book of Free Software - Hispanic Calendar of Free Events (with MC badge)". Retrieved 3 February 2011.
- "Alerta! service homepage". Retrieved 3 February 2011.
- "Plantaré project homepage". Retrieved 3 February 2011.
- "Comunes list of projects". Retrieved 3 February 2011.
- "Grasia Research Group homepage". Retrieved 3 February 2011.
- "Comunes Acknowledgements". Retrieved 3 February 2011.
- "Medialab-Prado (Madrid) homepage". Retrieved 3 February 2011.
- "Comunes profile in Medialab-Prado". Retrieved 3 February 2011.
- "Medialab-Prado "Commons Lab" list of workgroups in 2011". Retrieved 3 February 2011.
- "IEPALA Foundation homepage". Retrieved 3 February 2011.
- "Kune node in IEPALA Foundation domain". Retrieved 3 February 2011.
- "Xsto.info free software cooperative homepage". Retrieved 3 February 2011.