Map of Iloilo with Concepcion highlighted
|Region||Western Visayas (Region VI)|
|Legislative district||5th district of Iloilo|
|• Mayor||Milliard S. Villanueva|
|• Total||86.12 km2 (33.25 sq mi)|
|• Density||460/km2 (1,200/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
Concepcion is located on the northeastern part of Panay Island (known as the mainland), together with some 16 other, smaller, associated islands. It is bounded on the north by the municipality of San Dionisio, in the south by the municipality of Ajuy, in the west by the municipality of Sara, and in the east by the Visayan Sea. It has a total land area of 9,702.04 hectares.
Concepcion is politically subdivided into twenty-five barangays, eleven of which are island barangays, and fourteen of which are on the mainland (Panay Island).
- Bacjawan Norte
- Bacjawan Sur
- Tambaliza (Pan de Azucar Island)
|Population census of Concepcion|
|Source: National Statistics Office|
The primary industry of the people of Concepcion is in fishing. The Visayan Sea, where Concepcion is situated, is one of the most prolific in fish production and provides a significant proportion of fish in the region. As of 2007, the number of registered fishermen stands at 7,957. Fishing is followed second by farming, with much of it being subsistence farming. The principle cash crops are rice, corn and vegetables, along with bamboo and coconuts. Poultry and livestock are raised for local consumption.
Poverty incidence was extremely high in the early 21st century, with 87% of the population being below the government poverty line in 2000, with a reduction to 47% in 2004. A contributing factor was the rapidity of population growth in the municipality, with a growth rate of 2.76% (as of 2002), or four babies being born every day in the municipality.
There is one institution of higher learning in the municipality, Concepcion Polytechnic College, which offers bachelor's degrees in fisheries and agriculture, as well as a masters in public administration.
- "Municipalities". Quezon City, Philippines: Department of the Interior and Local Government. Retrieved 20 February 2013.
- "Province: Iloilo". PSGC Interactive. Makati City, Philippines: National Statistical Coordination Board. Retrieved 20 February 2013.
- "Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay: as of May 1, 2010". 2010 Census of Population and Housing. National Statistics Office. Retrieved 20 February 2013.
- Latoza, Jigger S. (2009) "KALAHI-CIDSS Institutional Mapping in Concepcion, Iloilo: Salient Findings" Augustinian Journal 12: pp. 33–58, doi:10.3860/aug.v12i0.1228
- (19 June 2010) "Island Hopping: Pan de Azucar Island, Iloilo", archived at Freezepage, 12 October 2010
- "Province of Iloilo". Municipality Population Data. Local Water Utilities Administration (LWUA). Retrieved 17 July 2013.
- National Statistics Office statistics, 2007
- Staff (2006) "Eradicating Poverty Completely by 2020 - Concepcion, Iloilo" Galing Pook Foundation, last accessed 12 October 2010
- "Tampisaw Festival" Official Website of the Province of Iloilo
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Concepcion, Iloilo.|
- Official Homepage
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code
- Philippine Census Information
- Local Governance Performance Management System
|Ajuy||Ajuy Bay (Guimaras Strait)|