|This article may rely excessively on sources too closely associated with the subject, preventing the article from being verifiable and neutral. (February 2014)|
The group currently manages 27 tuition-free science, technology and math-focused schools in 7 Midwest states. Serving about 8200 students, Concept-managed schools are located in urban areas in Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Missouri. Out of 8200 students, 82% are minority and 81% come from economically disadvantaged families. 8% of the students have special education services and 5% are English language learners.
The first two Horizon Science Academies opened in Cleveland and Columbus, Ohio in 1999. The network began expansion in 2002. As of 2013, it includes schools in Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Missouri, Minnesota and Michigan.
Concept schools have experienced some legal troubles in 2014. Schools in 3 states have been raided by the FBI. In total, 19 search warrants were executed by the FBI on June 4, 2014. 
Concept schools in Ohio have received some very negative attention due to the July 15, 2014 Department of Education hearing allegations of cheating and sexual harassment of students. Several teachers from their Dayton location came forward to testify during an Ohio Department of Education Hearing.
"Teachers also told of an in-class game in which male students would touch the thighs and upper legs of female students, going increasingly higher, and asking the girls if they were nervous." 
- Chicago Math and Science Academy
- Gateway Science Academy- St. Louis
- Horizon Science Academy- Cincinnati
- Horizon Science Academy- Cleveland High School
- Horizon Science Academy- Cleveland Middle School
- Horizon Science Academy- Cleveland Elementary School
- Horizon Science Academy- Columbus High School
- Horizon Science Academy- Columbus Middle School
- Horizon Science Academy- Columbus Elementary School
- Horizon Science Academy- Dayton Elementary School
- Horizon Science Academy- Dayton High School
- Horizon Science Academy- Dayton Downtown
- Horizon Science Academy- Denison Middle School
- Horizon Science Academy- Denison Elementary School
- Horizon Science Academy- Lorain
- Horizon Science Academy- Springfield
- Horizon Science Academy- Toledo High School
- Horizon Science Academy- Toledo Downtown
- Horizon Science Academy- Youngstown
- Indiana Math & Science Academy-West
- Indiana Math & Science Academy-North
- Indiana Math & Science Academy-South
- Michigan Math & Science Academy
- Milwaukee Math & Science Academy
- Minnesota Schools of Science
- Noble Academy Cleveland
- Noble Academy Columbus
- Quest Charter Academy- Peoria
Concept was banned from opening a school in Chicago's South Side Chatham neighborhood after it was determined that the site they planned to use was in deplorable condition. Building inspectors sited the leaky roof, mold, and asbestos laden floor tiles as unsuitable for children.
“Mold is visibly evident throughout many of the classrooms. The mold and mildew is so bad, that a handful of the classrooms cannot be accessed due to the noxious, overwhelming, suffocating scent,” an inspector wrote for CPS officials in July 2014.
- Concept Schools Member Schools
- The story of Concept Schools
- Concept Schools Blog of Transgressions
- Concept Schools website
- The list of all the schools in operation.
- Concept Schools Official Blog
|This article relating to education in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|