The Concord Coalition is a political advocacy group in the United States, formed in 1992. A bipartisan organization, it was founded by U.S. Senator Warren Rudman, former Secretary of Commerce Peter George Peterson, and U.S. Senator Paul Tsongas. The Concord Coalition's advocacy centers on ending deficit spending and promoting a balanced budget in the U.S. federal government. The group's mission statement is to educate "the public about the causes and consequences of federal budget deficits, the long-term challenges facing America's unsustainable entitlement programs, and how to build a sound foundation for economic growth."
Since 2006, the Concord Coalition has organized the Fiscal Wake-Up Tour, visiting cities to message to citizens and elected officials about the country's debt and fiscal future. Participants in the tour include representatives from The Brookings Institution, The Heritage Foundation, The Committee for Economic Development, The Progressive Policy Institute, and The American Enterprise Institute. Former Comptroller General of the United States David M. Walker serves as an advisor to the tour and participates in its public events. The tour has visited college campuses and electoral campaign events to encourage Americans to demand action from their representatives in Congress regarding the growing national debt.
The group's executive director, Robert Bixby, has noted that the federal deficit "is not some abstract issue in Washington" and that it "has real-world consequences for what's going to happen in state and local governments."
- Co-Chairman - Warren Rudman
- Co-Chairman - Bob Kerrey
- Co-Chairman - Paul Tsongas (1941–1997)
- President - Peter G. Peterson
- Secretary-Treasurer/Budget Chairman - Charles A. Bowsher
- Finance Chairman - Eugene M. Freedman
- Executive Director - Robert L. Bixby
- List of think tanks in the United States
- Balance of payments
- Citizens Against Government Waste
- Deficit hawk
- Fiscal conservatism
- Fiscal responsibility
- United States federal budget
- United States public debt
- "Concord Coalition Mission Statement". Retrieved 2012-02-03.
- "Robert Bixby Biography". Georgia State University J. Mack Robinson College of Business.[dead link]
- "National debt makes U.S. vulnerable, experts say". Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. June 30 2008. Retrieved 2012-02-03.
- Montgomery, Lori (June 21 2007). "Stumping for Attention To Deficit Disorder". Washington Post. Retrieved 2012-02-03.
- "Concord Coalition pushes for deficit reduction". Seacoast Online. April 28, 2010. Retrieved 2012-02-03.
- "I.O.U.S.A. - The Movie". Retrieved 2012-02-03.
- "Board of Directors". The Concord Coalition. 2011. Retrieved July 27, 2011.
- Concord Coalition Official website
- Peter G. Peterson Foundation
- Concord Coalition on Facebook
- Concord Coalition on Twitter
|This article about an organization in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|