Concord High School (Elkhart, Indiana)
|Concord High School|
|59117 Minuteman Way
Elkhart, Indiana, 46517
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Concord Community Schools|
|Number of students||1,500|
|Color(s)||Kelly Green and White|
Concord High School is a public high school in Elkhart County, Indiana, United States with a size of approximately 1,500 students. The school was host to President Barack Obama's first order of business meeting outside of Washington D.C., as well as the site of one of his campaign rallies before the 2008 election.
Concord's music department includes several choirs, a string orchestra, a dance team, two jazz bands, three concert bands, one of the largest pep bands in the area, and a championship marching band.
The marching band is known as the Concord Marching Minutemen. Since the inception of the ISSMA marching band state finals in 1983, the band has only failed to qualify for the state championship once, in 2000. The band holds ISSMA Class B state championship titles from 1992, 2003, 2005 and 2011. The book "American Band" by Kristen Laine follows the Marching Minutemen through their 2004 state runner-up season.
Concord High School offers various sports, including football, cross country, golf, tennis, soccer, basketball, wrestling, swimming, track and field, baseball, and lacrosse for boys, and volleyball, cross country, soccer, tennis, cheerleading, swimming, track and field, softball, and lacrosse for girls.
Concord's athletic teams compete in the Northern Lakes Conference and in the 5A classification, competing in Sectional 10 in football and Sectional 4 in all other class sports.
Concord won state titles in boy's gymnastics in 1964, 1965, and 1966.
Concord's drama department produces a straight play and a musical in November and March, respectively, held in the Beickman Performing Arts Center.
- Shawn Kemp, Former NBA Basketball Player
- Dairese Gary, former NCAA Basketball Player for the New Mexico Lobos men's basketball team
Other Concord community schools
- Concord Intermediate School
- Concord Junior High School
- Concord East Side Elementary School
- Concord Ox Bow Elementary School
- Concord South Side Elementary School
- Concord West Side Elementary School
- Loh, Katrina (10 February 2009). "Obama Pushes Stimulus Package in Elkhart". Indiana Daily Student. Retrieved 2009-02-27.
- Cheatham, Kelli (6 August 2008). "Obama focuses on energy, economy at Elkhart town hall meeting". WSBT TV. Retrieved 2009-02-27.[dead link]
- Concord Music Department Home Page
- Indianafieldbands.com: ISSMA Class B
- American Band by Kristen Laine
- Kelli Cheatham (2007-11-22). "Concord High School Band in Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade". CBS 22 WSBT. Retrieved 2009-05-13.[dead link]
- Conn-Selmer, Inc. All American Schools
- Concord High School
- Indiana High School Athletic Association state champions list