Concord Township, Champaign County, Ohio
|Concord Township, Champaign County, Ohio|
Countryside in northeastern Concord Township
Municipalities and townships of Champaign County
Location of Champaign County in Ohio
|• Total||30.1 sq mi (77.9 km2)|
|• Land||30.0 sq mi (77.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.2 km2)|
|Elevation||1,099 ft (335 m)|
|• Density||46.9/sq mi (18.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085839|
Located in the western part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Harrison Township - north
- Salem Township - east
- Urbana Township - southeast corner
- Mad River Township - south
- Johnson Township - west
- Adams Township - northwest
No municipalities are located in Concord Township.
Name and history
Concord Township was established in 1818 from land given by Mad River Township.
Concord Township was the site of the crash of Trans World Airlines Flight 553, a Douglas DC-9-15 which fell to earth in a field following a mid-air collision with a Beechcraft Baron on March 9, 1967, triggering substantial changes in air traffic control procedures.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Champaign County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 12 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- The History of Champaign County, Ohio. W.H. Beers & Company. 1881. p. 486.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.