|Some or all of this article's listed sources may not be reliable. (October 2010)|
|Stable release||188.8.131.52 / January 9, 2015|
|Type||Content Management System|
Concrete5 was designed for ease of use, for users with a minimum of technical skills. It enables users to edit site content directly from the page. It provides version management for every page, similar to wiki software, another type of web site development software. concrete5 allows users to edit images through an embedded editor on the page.
Concrete5 code is based on Model-View-Controller architecture and object-oriented programming. Some core features are: integrated server caching, developer API, optional openID, version tracking system and search engine optimization.
Concrete5 features in-context editing (the ability to edit website content directly on the page, rather than in an administrative interface or using web editor software). Editable areas are defined in concrete5 templates which allow editors to insert 'blocks' of content. These can contain simple content (text and images) or have more complex functionality, for example image slideshows, comments systems, lists of files, maps etc. Further addons can be installed from the concrete5 Marketplace to extend the range of blocks available for insertion. Websites running concrete5 can be connected to the concrete5 website, allowing automatic upgrading of the core software and of any addons downloaded or purchased from the Marketplace.
Development of concrete5 began in 2003 as a rapid-design approach to building the now-defunct LewisAndClark200.org, the official site for the Ad Council's National Council for the Lewis & Clark Bicentennial. Regular updates and security patches have been released. Version 184.108.40.206 was released on April 20, 2010. Version 5.4.1 was released on October 4, 2010. Version 5.4.2 was released on August 4, 2011. Version 5.5.0 was released on December 21, 2011. Version 5.5.1 was released on January 23, 2012. Version 5.6.2 was released on August 15, 2013. Version 220.127.116.11 was released on August 28, 2013. Version 5.6.3 was released on March 3, 2014. Version 18.104.22.168, the latest stable version, was released on January 9, 2015.
Awards and recognition
- SourceForge's "Project of the Month" October 2008.
- In the 2010 Open Source CMS Market Share Report, Concrete5 had:
- Growth of developer share: the largest growth of any system in the Developer Support metric
- Installations: Though Concrete5 was only #12 in weekly downloads, they showed the most year-on-year improvement of any system in the survey - up 517%. The system also came in at #3 in total installations, as per the survey—up from #10 last year. Installation data from the survey was also validated by the BuiltWith data which showed Concrete5 in 7th position
- Third Party Support: Concrete5 showed a second year of strong growth in the Developer Support metric.
- Search Engine Visibility: The project site showed the largest gain of any system in the survey for the second year running.
- Project Site Popularity: Concrete5 showed the second largest increase in Alexa Internet rank.
- Mindshare: Concrete5 placed last in Brand Familiarity in 2009; in 2010, the system came in 6th.
- Reputation: Concrete5 led the group in brand sentiment, abandonment and product preference, and came in second in conversion rate.
- In the 2011 Open Source CMS Market Share Report, though Concrete5 still lagged Drupal, Joomla and WordPress in terms of total market share, it had the highest growth.
- 10 Promising Content Management Systems,", by Jacob Gube, Six Revisions, November 6th, 2008
- "Top 5 Content Management Systems for the Complete Beginner," (rated #1) by Mike Johnston, January 23, 2009, CMS Critic
- Ric Shreves, Water & Stone (Interview), says concrete5 is very usable and client-friendly
- "In the test: The new Open Source CMS Concrete5," crossrange.de, April 18, 2009
- "WYSIWYG editing features with CMS 'concrete5' the official Japanese release version," MAIKOMIJANARU, 2009/04/21
-  Concrete5 architecture
- "FLOSS Weekly #239: Concrete CMS". FLOSS Weekly.
- "2010 Open Source CMS Market Share Report", Water & Stone, December 10, 2010.
- "CONCRETE5 5.6.3 Release".
- "2011 Open Source CMS Market Share Report", Water & Stone, November 27, 2011.