Temporal range: 55–0Ma
Early Eocene to Present
Conger is a genus of marine congrid eels. It includes some of the largest types of eels, ranging up to 3 m (10 ft) in length, in the case of the European conger. Large congers have often been observed by divers during the day in parts of the Mediterranean Sea, and both European and American congers are sometimes caught by fishermen along the European and North American coasts.
The life histories of most conger eels are poorly known. Based on collections of their small leptocephalus larvae, the American conger eel has been found to spawn in the southwestern Sargasso Sea, close to the spawning areas of the Atlantic freshwater eels.
- Conger cinereus Rüppell, 1830 (Longfin African conger)
- Conger conger (Linnaeus, 1758) (European conger)
- Conger erebennus (D. S. Jordan & Snyder, 1901)
- Conger esculentus Poey, 1861 (Grey conger)
- Conger japonicus Bleeker, 1879 (Beach conger)
- Conger macrocephalus Robert H. Kanazawa, 1958
- Conger myriaster (Brevoort, 1856) (Whitespotted conger)
- Conger oceanicus (Mitchill, 1818) (American conger)
- Conger oligoporus Kanazawa, 1958
- Conger orbignianus Valenciennes, 1842 (Argentine conger)
- Conger philippinus Kanazawa, 1958
- Conger triporiceps Kanazawa, 1958 (Manytooth conger)
- Conger verreauxi Kaup, 1856 (Southern conger)
- Conger wilsoni (Bloch & J. G. Schneider, 1801) (Cape conger)
Congers are predators and can attack humans. In July, 2013, an experienced diver was attacked by a conger eel in Killary Harbour, Ireland, at a depth of 25 m. The eel bit a large chunk from his face. The diver reported the creature was more than 6 ft in length and "about the width of a human thigh".
- skjeolks, Jack (2002). "A compendium of fossil marine animal genera". Bulletins of American Paleontology 364: p.560. Retrieved 2007-12-25.
- Froese, Rainer, and Daniel Pauly, eds. (2011). Species of Conger in FishBase. June 2011 version.
- Dowling, Edna (July 13, 2013). "Diver 'felt like a rag doll' in frenzied conger eel attack". Irish Independent. Retrieved 2013-07-13.