Mary Ann Shadd Cary House
|Location||2001 New Hampshire Avenue, NW
|Part of||Greater U Street Historic District (#98001557)|
|NRHP Reference #||11000717|
|Added to NRHP||October 6, 2011|
|Designated CP||December 31, 1998|
The Congressional Club (founded in 1908), is an historic residence, located at 2001 New Hampshire Avenue, Northwest, Washington, D.C., in the U Street Corridor neighborhood. The organization it hosts, which is the official club of Congressional spouses, was created in May 1908 with the Sixtieth Congress passage of HR22029. The Congressional Club is the only club in the world to be incorporated by an act of Congress. Since 1912, the club has hosted a luncheon honoring the First Lady of the United States. It is the largest annual event sponsored by the Club.
Built and dedicated in 1914, the neoclassical clubhouse is designated as a contributing property to the Greater U Street Historic District, an historic district listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1998. The building was individually listed on the Register in 2011.
- List of National Historic Landmarks in the District of Columbia
- History of the National Register of Historic Places
- Contributing property
- Cultural landscape
- Historic preservation
- United States National Register of Historic Places listings
- Property type (National Register of Historic Places)
- Weekly List Of Actions Taken On Properties: 10/03/11 through 10/07/11
- "District of Columbia - Inventory of Historic Sites". District of Columbia: Office of Planning. Government of the District of Columbia. September 1, 2004. Retrieved July 21, 2009.
- Bryant, Mrs. John (1993). The Congressional Club Cook Book (Twelfth ed.). Washington, DC: The Congressional Club. p. ix.
- Annual First Lady luncheon Retrieved June 8, 2012
|This article about a property in the District of Columbia on the National Register of Historic Places is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|