Connetquot High School
|This article relies on references to primary sources. (December 2007)|
|Connetquot High School|
|190 Seventh Street
Bohemia, New York, USA
|Type||Public high school|
|Motto||"Today We Follow, Tomorrow We Lead"|
|School district||Connetquot Central School District|
|Website||Connetquot High School|
Connetquot High School (CHS) is a public high school serving students from the communities of Bohemia, Sayville, West Sayville, Oakdale and Ronkonkoma in the ninth through twelfth grades located in Bohemia, New York and is part of the Connetquot Central School District. The school was established in 1963, three years after voters in the existing Oakdale-Bohemia and Ronkonkoma school districts voted to consolidate their two districts.
According to Newsday data, 91.2% of Connetquot graduates earn a New York State Regent's diploma (55.2% with advanced designation). Also, 55.6% of graduates plan to attend a 4-year college and 35.8% plan to attend a 2-year college.
The school competes in Section XI of the New York State Public High School Athletic Association (NYSPHAA).
The high school's cheerleading team competed in the 2005 and 2008 National High School Cheerleading Championship. In 2005, they placed 11th and in 2008, they placed 6th in the nation.
In 1979, Connetquot's varsity football team and girls varsity gymnastics teams won their first ever Suffolk County championships. The football team won the 1992 and 2008 Long Island Football Championships.
In July 2007, two teenagers, one who attended the high school and another attended a neighboring school were arrested for planning an attack on the school. The plans reportedly include a hit list of students and staff and how to ignite explosives. The two students had planned to gun down as many students as they could before police arrived, followed by a shoot-out and their suicide.
- John Bolaris (1975) - Meteorologist, WCAU-TV, WCBS-TV, WTXF-TV in 2008
- Sal Butera - MLB Catcher
- Moira Kelly - Actress, graduated from Connetquot High School in 1986.
- Jane Monheit - Jazz vocalist, graduated from Connetquot High School in 1995.
- John Pacella - MLB Pitcher drafted by New York Mets in 1974.
- Timothy Treadwell - Documentary Film Maker.
- Jane Monheit - Jazz and adult contemporary vocalist .
- "Newsday: High School Graduates". Retrieved 2009-05-29.
- Ketcham, Diane (January 28, 1990). "Long Island Journal; Holding Their Coats". The New York Times. Retrieved December 4, 2009.
- 2 Teens Arrested In Attack Plot Against L.I. School - News Story - WNBC | New York
- New York Teen Gets Prison For Plotting Columbine-Style School Attack
- "WCBS-TV weatherman selling Wainscott home". Newsday. August 23, 2007. Retrieved December 4, 2009.("The family moved to Bohemia when he was in the eighth grade, and he graduated from Connetquot High School in 1975"