|Concetta "Connie" Terranova Wagner|
|Member of the New Jersey General Assembly
from the 38th district
January 8, 2008 – October 1, 2013
Serving with Joan Voss
|Preceded by||Robert M. Gordon|
|Born||July 7, 1948|
Concetta "Connie" Wagner (born July 7, 1948) is an American Democratic Party politician, who had served in the New Jersey General Assembly since January 8, 2008, where she had represented the 38th legislative district until her resignation on October 1, 2013.
Wagner served on the Bergen County Board of Chosen Freeholders in 2007, and was a member of the Paramus Borough Council from 2002-2007. Before she was elected Assemblywoman, Wagner worked as a high school guidance counselor at Paramus High School.
Wagner was selected by a special meeting of the Bergen County Democratic Organization in September 2007 to fill a vacancy on the Democratic ballot for Assembly when Bob Gordon became a State Senator from District 38 to replace the retiring Joseph Coniglio. At the time Wagner was serving as both a county freeholder and borough councilwoman. She stepped down from both posts when she took her Assembly seat and served with Joan Voss as District 38's Assembly members.
Wagner ran for re-election twice and was returned to office both times. She served during the 2012-2013 Legislative term with Tim Eustace, who was elected to replace Voss after she decided to run for a Freeholder seat.
In the Assembly, Wagner served on the Joint Committee on the Public Schools (as Co-Chair), on the Labor Committee (as Vice-Chair), Higher Education Committee and the Education.
Wagner had announced that she was not going to run for re-election in 2013 and decided to step down from her seat effective October 1, 2013, so that she could have the opportunity to spend more time with her family in Florida. Paramus Council President Joseph Lagana had already been given Wagner's ballot position in the 38th District for the November general election but announced that he planned to complete his term on the Borough Council and would not take the seat on an interim basis. The Bergen County Democratic Organization will conduct a special convention to consider potential candidates to fill the position on an interim basis.
Each of the 40 districts in the New Jersey Legislature has one representative in the New Jersey Senate and two members in the New Jersey General Assembly. The other representatives from the 38th District for the 2012-2013 Legislative Session were:
- Connie Wagner legislative website, New Jersey Legislature. Accessed October 1, 2013.
- Assembly Member Connie Wagner's Biography, Project Vote Smart. Accessed October 1, 2013.
- Friedman, Matt. "BCDO taps Gordon for Senate, Wagner for Assembly", Politicker NJ, September 16, 2007. Accessed October 1, 2013. "In a closed meeting, the committee members unanimously elected Assemblyman Bob Gordon to fill the state Senate ballot spot left open after Joe Coniglio decided not to seek re-election. Freeholder/Paramus Councilwoman Connie Wagner will fill the slot left open by Gordon’s elevation. Incumbent Assemblywoman Joan Voss will remain as the 38th district’s other Democratic Assembly candidate."
- Ensslin, John C. "North Jersey Assemblywoman Connie Wagner resigns office", The Record (Bergen County), September 30, 2013. Accessed October 1, 2013. "Assemblywoman Connie Wagner, D-Paramus, has resigned her seat effective Tuesday, about two months earlier than expected, to spend time with her family in Florida.... Her earlier-than-expected departure means that Bergen County Democratic Committee members from District 38 must choose someone to fill the seat on an interim basis.Paramus Council President Joseph Lagana, the candidate they chose to run in place of Wagner, said it won’t be him."
- Legislative Roster 2012-2013 Session, New Jersey Legislature. Accessed September 30, 2013.
- Connie Wagner legislative website, New Jersey Legislature
- New Jersey Legislature financial disclosure forms
- Assembly Member Concetta Wagner, Project Vote Smart
- Assembly Majority Web site
Robert M. Gordon
|New Jersey State Assemblywoman - District 38
2008 - 2013
|Bergen County Freeholder