Connor Brown (ice hockey)
January 14, 1994 |
Etobicoke, ON, CAN
|Height||5 ft 11 in (180 cm)|
|Weight||170 lb (77 kg; 12 st 2 lb)|
|NHL team (P)
|Toronto Maple Leafs
Toronto Marlies (AHL)
|NHL Draft||156th overall, 2012
Toronto Maple Leafs
Connor Brown (born January 14, 1994) is a Canadian ice hockey Right Wing. He is currently playing with the Toronto Marlies of American Hockey League (AHL). Brown was selected by the Toronto Maple Leafs in the 6th round (156th overall) of the 2012 NHL Entry Draft.
Brown grew up playing youth hockey in the Toronto area. He played first for the West Mall Lightning mite select team, in the North York Hockey League, where his father was the head coach. The Lightning team later morphed in the GTHL Toronto Marlboros team for 1994 born players. The core of the team won ten straight city championships and included seven players who would go on to be selected at the 2012 NHL Entry draft: Brown, Scott Laughton, Matt Finn, Adam Pelech, Scott Kosmachuk, Jake Paterson, and Matia Marcantuoni.
Brown was selected in the 13th round (251st overall) of the 2010 OHL Priority Draft by the Erie Otters. He spent the 2010-11 season playing Junior "A" hockey for the St. Michael's Buzzers in the Ontario Junior Hockey League.
Brown joined the Otters for the 2011-12 season and led the team in points (53), goals (25), and assists (28). Brown was drafted in the 6th round, 156 overall, by the Leafs in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft.
He returned to the Otters for the 2012-13 season, serving as the captain of the team.
While playing with the Erie Otters during the 2013–14 OHL season, Brown scored 45 goals and 83 assists for 128 points in 68 games. He went on to score 8 goals and 10 assists in 14 games during the playoffs to cap off what was the best season in the team's history. Brown was awarded both the Jim Mahon Memorial Trophy as the OHL's top scoring right winger, and the Eddie Powers Memorial Trophy as the top scoring player in the OHL.
On November 22, 2013, the Leafs signed Brown to a three year entry level contract. He will start the 2014-15 season with the Marlies, the Leafs' AHL affiliate.
Awards and honours
|OHL First All-Rookie Team||2011–12|||
|Jim Mahon Memorial Trophy – OHL Top Scoring Right Winger||2013–14|||
|Eddie Powers Memorial Trophy – OHL Top Scorer||2013–14|||
|Red Tilson Trophy – OHL’s Most Outstanding Player||2013–14|||
|OHL First All-Star Team||2013–14|||
|2010–11||St. Michael's Buzzers||OJHL||49||17||22||29||18||3||0||1||1||0|
- Hansler, Clayton (July 6, 2012). "A Great Canadian Story: Matt Finn & Connor Brown". Marlies.ca. Retrieved August 25, 2014.
- Simmons, Steve (June 25, 2012). "GTHL's own magnificent seven". Toronto Sun. Retrieved August 25, 2014.
- "OHL Priority Selection Results". OntarioHockeyLeague.com. Retrieved August 25, 2014.
- "Connor Brown named captain of the Otters". Erie Otters Official Website. September 15, 2012. Retrieved August 25, 2014.
- Rush, Curtis (May 6, 2014). "Maple Leafs prospect Connor Brown wins OHL top player award". Toronto Star. Retrieved August 25, 2014.
- News Centre: OHL Year End Awards
- "Maple Leafs sign Brown to entry-level contract". NHL Official Website. November 22, 2013. Retrieved August 25, 2014.
- OHL Network: OHL All-Rookie Teams Announced
- OHL Network: 2013-14 Regular Season Award Winners