Conover, North Carolina
|Conover, North Carolina|
|Nickname(s): "Wye Town""Canova"|
|Motto: Community and Industry|
Location of Conover, North Carolina
|• Mayor||Lee E. Moritz, Jr.|
|• Total||11.12 sq mi (26.5 km2)|
|• Land||11.12 sq mi (26.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,060 ft (323 m)|
|• Density||738.1/sq mi (249.2/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0983463|
Conover is a city in Catawba County, North Carolina, United States. The population was 8,239 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Hickory–Lenoir–Morganton Metropolitan Statistical Area. Conover is home to the Greater Hickory Classic at Rock Barn.
- 1 History
- 2 Geography
- 3 Demographics
- 4 City Services
- 5 Transportation
- 6 Mass Transit
- 7 Parks and recreation
- 8 Education
- 9 Awards
- 10 Notable people
- 11 NASCAR in Conover
- 12 References
- 13 External links
As of the census of 2010, there were 8,239 people, 3,368 households, and 2,182 families residing in the city. The population density was 738.1 people per square mile (249.2/km²). There were 3,654 housing units at an average density of 328.5 per square mile (108.7/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 78.1% White, 9.2% African American, 0.2% Native American, 4.2% Asian, 5.8% from other races, and 2.5% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 12.2% of the population.
There were 3,654 households out of which 30.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 47.1% were married couples living together, 12.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 35.2% were non-families. 30.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.39 and the average family size was 2.96.
The Conover Public Works Department provides water, street construction, maintenance and repair, storm water management, solid waste and recycling, water treatment, grounds and parks and fleet maintenance services to the residents of Conover.
The Conover Fire Department provides fire suppression, emergency medical services, hazardous materials (HAZMAT) mitigation, technical rescues, public education, and fire prevention and inspection with 18 full-time and 33 part-time/volunteer firefighters operating out of three strategically located fire stations.
The Conover Police department is an internationally accredited agency staffed by 27 full-time officers, one code enforcement officer, five part-time employees, and five volunteer police chaplains. This group of professionals provides law enforcement and community services to the citizens of Conover.
Emergency medical services
Emergency medical services for the city of Conover are provided by CCEMS, the Catawba County EMS Agency.
Conover is located in the western piedmont area of North Carolina. Conover is located approximately 50 miles northwest of Charlotte; 60 miles west of Winston-Salem; and 80 miles east of Asheville, and is the geographic center of Catawba County.
- Greenway Bus Transportation (Main office located in Conover)
- Conover has been designated a stop on the future Western NC Rail service.
Parks and recreation
Conover is home of the Rock Barn Golf and Spa, a golf course with two 18-hole championship courses.
Conover has nine neighborhood parks:
- Downtown Park - 1.97 acres, with gazebo, walking trails and playground equipment.
- Gateway Park - A linear park that provides a pedestrian/bicycle link into downtown.
- Hines Park - Located in the ConWest Business Park, the park and its gazebo are mainly used by employees of nearby businesses.
- Hunsucker Park - Located in the largest neighborhood in the city, the park contains 1.13 acres, and playground equipment.
- Majestic Park - Located in the southwest quadrant of the city, the park contains 3.92 acres, and recreation equipment.
- Rowe Park - The smallest of the city's parks, it contains a gazebo, picnic table, and a swing set.
- Travis Park - Located in the northwest quadrant of the city, the park contains benches, a picnic table and recreation equipment.
- Washington/Southwest Park - 2.21 acres, the park includes a basketball court and baseball field, along with recreation equipment.
- Conover City Park - 6.75 acres, with a picnic area, playground equipment, walking trails, splash pad and wetlands.
- Shuford Elementary School
- South Newton Elementary School
- Thorton Elementary School
- Conover School
- Lyle Creek Elementary School - (Catawba County Schools)
- Newton-Conover Middle School
- Tri-City Christian School
- Concordia Christian Day School
Conover and the Hickory Area has received state and national recognition for its quality of life and business climate. Some recent state and national rankings include:
- 50 Safest Cities in North Carolina: #35 (The Safewise Report, April 2014)
- Best Cities for Raising a Family: #10 (Readers Digest)
- Mark K. Hilton, member of the North Carolina General Assembly
- Dale Jarrett - NASCAR driver
- Morgan Shepherd - NASCAR driver
- Glenn Jarrett - Former NASCAR driver
- Ned Jarrett - Former NASCAR driver
- Jason Jarrett- Former NASCAR driver
- Tommy Houston- Former NASCAR driver
- Chris Washburn- Former NBA player
NASCAR in Conover
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2010-07-09.
- Conover (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
- American FactFinder - Results
- Greenway - Contact Us
- "History & Location". Conover Station. Retrieved June 3, 2012.
- PGATOUR.COM - Inside the course: Rock Barn Golf & Spa[dead link]
- City Parks - City of Conover
- Dale jarrett inc in Newton, NC | Newton Dale jarrett inc - YP.com
- Contact - Morgan Shepherd