||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2008)|
|Birth name||Conrad Thomas Lant|
|Also known as||Cronos|
|Born||15 January 1963|
|Origin||Newcastle upon Tyne|
|Genres||Thrash metal, black metal, speed metal, heavy metal|
|Instruments||Bass, vocals, guitar|
|Associated acts||Venom, Cronos, Probot|
Conrad Thomas Lant (aka Cronos) (born 15 January 1963) is a British musician who is the vocalist and bass player of the influential black/thrash metal band Venom, from 1979 to 1987 and from 1995 to present.
After joining his high school band Dwarfstar, Lant joined Guillotine as a guitarist in 1978, where he met Jeffrey Dunn (aka Mantas). In 1980, the original bass player left one week before a gig. Instead of not playing the venue, Lant took up the bass and they changed the band name to Venom. He continued to play the bass throughout his career in Venom. In 1981, the band's vocalist Clive Archer left, leaving Lant to take over this role too.
Lant left the band in 1988 to pursue a solo career and occasionally featured in many other bands of a similar genre, including Cronos, Enthroned, Cradle of Filth (Cronos contributed a monologue to the end of the Cradle track "Haunted Shores", from their 1996 album Dusk... and Her Embrace), Warpath, Massacre and Necrodeath. He also produced some of the albums for other bands.
Venom tried to continue without Cronos, but only managed a couple of releases before calling a halt on their efforts in around 1993 due to lack of sales and poor concert attendances. Cronos reformed the original Venom line-up in 1995 and headlined the Dynamo Festival in 1996 to 90,000 fans.
In 2000, the band went on to headline the Wacken Open Air Festival in Germany and play a one-off show in Holland before they were forced to take a break after Cronos was injured in a climbing accident in 2002, which left him unable to play bass or sing for a few years. He took to the computer to pass the time and studied games programming, learned 3D software skills and worked as the main multimedia engineer for the computer companies K-Class Systems and Globalfibre.tv.
Cronos again reformed Venom in around 2003 with his brother Antton on drums and recruiting Michael Alan Hickey. After the next couple of years of planning and intensive rehearsals, Venom released their album 'Metal Black' in early 2006 on the Sanctuary Group label Castle Music, and they embarked on a sold out world tour. Venom also played the classic single 'Die Hard' along with Phil Anselmo (Pantera, Down) in the Gods of Metal 2006 ( Italy ) where they headlined. Cronos also appeared on Dave Grohl's heavy metal side project Probot in 2004, and guest starred on the track Knights of the 21st century on HammerFall's 2005 album Chapter V: Unbent, Unbowed, Unbroken.
Some articles claim that Cronos is the brother of Kate Middleton’s mom Mary Lant. That is however a hoax, the Duchess of Cambridge's mother isn't Mary Lant. Her mother's name is Carole Goldsmith Middleton.
- Cronos wants the song 'In League With Satan' to be played at his memorial service".
- Contrary to Mantas, who likes it best to be called Jeff, Cronos likes to be addressed as Cronos, rather than Conrad.
- His favourite show ever was at Dynamo Open Air in 1996. After the even they released Venom - The Second Coming (Live At Dynamo 1996).
- Bulldozer Bass
- Aria Pro II SB1000 (Matte Black with Natural Stripe)
- Aria Pro II SB1000 (Red with Natural Stripe)
- Ibanez Destroyer Bass (Red Finish)
- Gibson EB-0 SG Bass (Van Halen styled Finish)
- Steinberger Bass (Burgandy/Brown Finish)
- Fender Jazz Bass (Black Finish/with LED Lights)
- Fender Jazz Bass (Red Finish/with LED lights)
- Fernandes 4 String Tremor Bass (Black Finish/w\Custom Neck)
- Fernandes 4 String Tremor Bass (Burgandy Finish/w\Custom Neck)
Cronos had two other basses which are seen on the DVD which comes with the deluxe version of Black Metal. These basses have been destroyed.
- Marshall Amps
- Welcome to Hell (1981)
- Black Metal (1982)
- At War with Satan (1983)
- Possessed (1985)
- Eine Kleine Nachtmusik (1986)
- Calm Before the Storm (1987)
- Cast in Stone (1997)
- Resurrection (2000)
- Metal Black (2006)
- Hell (2008)
- Fallen Angels (2011)
- Dancing in the Fire (1990)
- Rock n' Roll Disease (1991)
- Venom (1995)
- Hell to the Unknown (2006) - Anthology release
- Dusk... and Her Embrace by Cradle of Filth (1996) - spoken word on "Haunted Shores"
- Probot by Probot (2004) - vocals and bass on "Centuries of Sin"
- Chapter V: Unbent, Unbowed, Unbroken by HammerFall (2005) - vocals on "Knights of the 21st Century"
- Cronos and Abbadon Interview
- BLABBERMOUTH.NET - VENOM Begin Work On New Album
- "Lords of Metal interview with Cronos of Venom by Ramon van H". Lords of Metal. Retrieved 2013-10-11.