Consequence of Sound
|Type of site||Music webzine|
|Alexa rank||10,559 globally, 4.067 in US |
Consequence of Sound, also known often as CoS, is a Chicago-based music website featuring news, album and concert reviews, and editorials. In addition, the website also features the Festival Outlook micro-site, which serves as an on-line database for music festival news and rumors.
The site was founded in September 2007 by Alex Young—who now has the role of the site's CEO and publisher—and it currently has a combined staff of over 50 writers, editors, graphic designers, and photographers. Michael Roffman is the President and Editor in Chief, Adam Kivel is the Managing Editor, and Chris Coplan is the News Editor.
Consequence of Sound is currently listed as one of the most influential music websites by Technorati. In 2010, About.com ranked Consequence of Sound the year's best music blog, based on "Technorati rankings and the online buzz throughout the year".
A popular feature of Consequence of Sound is the Festival Outlook, posting rumors regarding bands playing music festivals. However, it has caused some controversy. In 2009, CoS reported that Paul McCartney and The Killers would headline the 2009 Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival prior to its lineup announcement. In 2010, CoS reported that Muse, Jay-Z, and Gorillaz would headline the 2010 Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival prior to its lineup announcement. However, CoS did report on many acts that were not on the official lineup for 2010 Bonnaroo Music Festival, including Roger Waters.
- Its album reviews are excerpted by Metacritic and used as part of that site's average album score from professional reviews.
- In October 2011, CoS began supplying articles to Time magazine's website.
- "Site Information for consequenceofsound.net". Alexa. Retrieved 21 November 2013.
- "About". Consequence of Sound. 23 May 2012. Retrieved 23 May 2012.
- "Technorati". Technorati. 2011-10-19. Retrieved 2011-10-26.
- "Best Blogs 2010 - Top 10 Best Blogs of 2010". Weblogs.about.com. Retrieved 2011-10-26.
- Ching, Albert (2009-01-23). "Coachella 2009". Blogs.ocweekly.com. OC Weekly. Retrieved 2011-10-26.
- Paul Sundeen (15 January 2010). "Coachella 2010". Consequenceofsound.net. Archived from the original on 17 January 2010. Retrieved 22 April 2012.
- Alex Young (8 February 2010). "Open Thread: Bonnaroo 2010 lineup announcement". Consequenceofsound.net. Archived from the original on 11 February 2010. Retrieved 22 April 2012.
- "Consequence of Sound's Scores". Metacritic. Retrieved 17 April 2012. "753 music reviews"
- Roffman, Michael (24 January 2012). "M83′s Hurry Up, We’re Dreaming: Pure Bedroom Pop". Time. Retrieved 16 April 2012. "This post is in partnership with Consequence of Sound, an online music publication devoted to the ever growing and always thriving worldwide music scene."