Conservative Party (UK) parliamentary primaries
Two primaries were held ahead of the 2010 general election in Totnes and Gosport. So far at least seven primaries have been held ahead of the 2015 general election, with more due to take place in 2013 and 2014.
For the 2010 general election
Totnes was the first constituency to use an open primary to select the Conservative Prospective Parliamentary Candidate. The election was held in August 2009 and saw a turnout of approximately 25%. Due to the success of this primary election, David Cameron announced that the system would be applied to other constituencies in future. Dr Sarah Wollaston, a general practitioner, was selected with 48% of the vote. Wollaston went on to be elected MP for Totnes at the 2010 general election.
Gosport held an open primary to select a candidate to succeed Peter Viggers upon his retirement from Westminster. The election was held in December 2009. Caroline Dinenage, a local business owner and daughter of Fred Dinenage, was selected with 38% of the vote. Dinenage was elected MP for Gosport at the 2010 general election, with an increased majority.
For the 2015 general election
|Constituency||Main article||Date of final selection||Candidate chosen||Current Conservative seat||Candidate elected in 2015|
|Berwick-upon-Tweed||Feb 2013||Anne-Marie Trevelyan||No|
|Croydon South||12 Nov 2013||Chris Philp||Yes|
|Hampstead and Kilburn||Hampstead and Kilburn Conservative primary, 2013||30 January 2013||Simon Marcus||No|
|Mid Worcestershire||22 November 2013||Nigel Huddleston||Yes|
|North East Hampshire||17 November 2013||Ranil Jayawardena||Yes|
|South East Cambridgeshire||7 December 2013||Lucy Frazer QC||Yes|
|Tonbridge and Malling||2 November 2013||Colonel Thomas Tugendhat||Yes|
|Twickenham||5 September 2013||Dr Tania Mathias||No|
|Wealden||5 December 2013||Nusrat Ghani||Yes|
|West Aberdeenshire||Early 2014||TBC||Yes|
|Yeovil||July 2013||Marcus Fysh||No|
- Hannan, Daniel (2013-10-19). "Open primaries are spreading unremarked across local Conservative Associations – Telegraph Blogs". Blogs.telegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 2013-11-22.
- "David Cameron reiterates Tory opposition to Tony Blair becoming EU President". ConservativeHome. October 27, 2009.
- "Tory backbencher Anthony Steen to stand down following expenses revelations". The Guardian. May 20, 2009.
- "Gosport voters to get open primary on replacing Peter Viggers". The Daily Telegraph. October 29, 2009.
- "Dinenage to succeed duck house MP as Tory candidate". BBC News. December 4, 2009.
- "Tories adopt Trevelyan at open primary". Berwick Advertiser. 2013-02-14. Retrieved 2013-11-22.
- "Croydon South candidates are put through their doorstep paces with a canvassing test". Conservative Home. Retrieved 2013-11-22.
- "Mwca Parliamentary Candidate Selection | Mid Worcestershire". Midworcestershireconservatives.org.uk. 2013-10-10. Retrieved 2013-11-22.
- Stephen Lloyd. "Deputy council leader chosen as Tory candidate to replace Arbuthnot". Get Hampshire. Retrieved 2013-11-22.
- Paul Goodman (2013-11-24). "The final four for South East Cambridgeshire". Conservative Home. Retrieved 2013-11-25.
- Francis, Paul (2013-11-15). "Conservative officials to hold 'open primary' to select candidate to replace Tonbridge and Malling MP Sir John Stanley". Kentonline.co.uk. Retrieved 2013-11-22.
- "The Conservative Party | News | News | Dr Tania Mathias chosen to stand up for local people in Twickenham". Conservatives.com. 2013-09-06. Retrieved 2013-11-22.
- "You choose! | Wealden". Wealdenconservatives.com. 2013-09-27. Retrieved 2013-11-22.
- "Scots Tories to trial US ‘primary’ election system". The Scotsman. 2013-11-01. Retrieved 2013-11-22.
- "The Conservative Party | News | News | Marcus Fysh selected for Yeovil". Conservatives.com. 2013-07-31. Retrieved 2013-11-22.