Kipruto in the steeplechase at the 2012 World Junior Championships
|Silver||2013 Moscow||3000 m s'chase|
|World Youth Championships|
|Gold||2011 Lille||2000 m s'chase|
|World Junior Championships|
|Gold||2012 Barcelona||3000 m s'chase|
Conseslus Kipruto (born 8 December 1994) is a Kenyan long-distance runner who competes in the steeplechase. He won the 2011 World Youth and 2012 World Junior titles in the steeplechase and ranks second on the all-time junior lists with his personal best of 8:01.16 minutes for the 3000 m steeplechase.
Kipruto quickly rose through the younger categories of the sport, beginning from 2010. He won the Kenyan youth trials in the 2000 metres steeplechase with a world-leading mark of 5:29.3 minutes. At the 2011 World Youth Championships in Athletics he and teammate Gilbert Kiplangat Kirui ran away from the pack from the very start. Kipruto edged out his compatriot with a time of 5:28.65 minutes to take the gold medal and move up to seventh on the all-time youth rankings. He debuted in the 3000 metres steeplechase in Europe later that year, running 8:27.30 minutes to win at the Stadionfest Königs Wusterhausen.
At the start of 2012 he entered two high profile cross country races, winning the Lotto Cross Cup de Hannut and placing second at the Cross de San Sebastián. He moved up to the 3000 m distance in the steeplechase and placed second at the Kawasaki Super Meet in Japan before running 8:08.92 minutes for fifth in his IAAF Diamond League debut in Doha. He beat Kirui to the Kenyan junior title and his teammate helped pace him at the 2012 World Junior Championships in Athletics, where Kipruto won Kenya's 13th straight title in the event and ranked fourth on the all-time junior lists with a run of 8:06.10 minutes (also a championship record). He had his first big senior win soon after, beating Paul Kipsiele Koech at the Herculis 2012 Diamond League meet in a personal best of 8:03.49 minutes. He ranked sixth in the world that year. He also was runner-up at the Memorial van Damme and had a 3000 metres flat best of 7:44.09 minutes at the Rieti Meeting.
Kipruto made his first Kenyan cross country team in 2013. After a win at the Cross Internacional Juan Muguerza and third at the Cross Internacional de Itálica in Spain, he only just made the junior team at the Kenyan trials, placing sixth. He performed one place better at the 2013 IAAF World Cross Country Championships, helping Kenya to the junior team silver medal. Heading into the track season, he opened with a meet record of 8:01.16 minutes at the Shanghai Golden Grand Prix, winning the first leg of the 2013 IAAF Diamond League steeplechase. This ranked him second on the all-time junior lists behind Stephen Cherono.
Major competition record
|2011||World Youth Championships||Lille, France||1st||2000 metres steeplechase||5:28.65|
|2012||World Junior Championships||Barcelona, Spain||1st||3000 metres steeplechase||8:06.10|
|2013||World Cross Country Championships||Bydgoszcz, Poland||5th||Junior race|
- 3000 metres – 7:44.09 min (2012)
- 2000 metres steeplechase – 5:28.65 min (2011)
- 3000 metres steeplechase – 8:01.16 min (2013)
- Mutuota, Mutwiri (2011-06-08). Chepkoech hoping to follow in sister Cherono's footsteps while Kiptum dazzles with 1:45.8 run – Kenyan World Youth Champs trials. IAAF. Retrieved on 2013-05-24.
- Ramsak, Bob (2011-07-08). Boys' 2000m Steeplechase Final – Kipruto and Kirui take 1–2 for Kenya. IAAF. Retrieved on 2013-05-24.
- Conseslus Kipruto. Tilastopaja. Retrieved on 2013-05-24.
- Hannut and Elgoibar the penultimate European Athletics Cross Country Permit Races. European Athletics (2012-01-23). Retrieved on 2013-05-24.
- Mutuota, Mutwiri (2012-06-09). Champs to lead Kenyan World Juniors charge. Capital FM. Retrieved on 2013-05-24.
- Minshull, Phil (2012-07-15). Kenya's Kipruto and Kipyegon urge and inspire each other onto success. IAAF. Retrieved on 2013-05-24.
- Valiente, Emeterio (2012-07-15). Barcelona 2012 – Event Report – Men's 3000m Steeplechase Final. IAAF. Retrieved on 2013-05-24.
- Kenyans, Nigerian queen excel in Monaco Diamond League athletics meet. PanaPress (2012-07-21). Retrieved on 2013-05-24.
- 2012 Men's Steeplechase Top Lists. IAAF. Retrieved on 2013-05-24.
- Valiente, Emeterio (2013-01-20). Birech outsprints Bett, Cherono cruises to victory at Italica meeting. IAAF. Retrieved on 2013-05-24.
- Gonzàlvez-Amat, Xavier (2013-01-13). Kipruto y Burka ganan en Elgoibar (Spanish). Mundo Deportivo. Retrieved on 2013-05-24.
- Mutuota, Mutwiri (2013-02-16). Rono and Muriuki win Kenyan World Cross Trials in Nairobi. IAAF. Retrieved on 2013-05-24.
- 2013 World Cross Country Championships – Men's Junior Team. IAAF. Retrieved on 2013-05-24.
- Johnson, Len (2013-05-18). World leads in nine events, four meeting records in Shanghai – IAAF Diamond League. IAAF. Retrieved on 2013-05-24.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Conseslus Kipruto.|