Consort Tang (Han dynasty)
A few months after, in spring 190, a coalition of regional officials and warlords began the punitive expedition against Dong Zhuo from the eastern part of China. Dong Zhuo became afraid that the forces of anti-Dong Zhuo armies would steal Prince of Hongnong from him and make the Prince their own emperor.
In 6 March 190, Dong Zhuo ordered his subordinate and son-in-law, the Prefect of the Household (郎中令) Li Ru to poison to death the Prince of Hongnong.
Prince of Hongnong realized that his death was near, opened his farewell banquet along with his consorts including Consort Tang.
Prince of Hongnong made a poem:
- The heaven and earth are changed, why should I suffer so much,
- I, once the center of all eyes, am driven to the humble hut,
- Oppressed by an arrogant minister, my life nears its end,
- Now I am leaving you and would go off on the eternal journey.
Prince of Hongnong asked Consort Tang to dance. She sang,
- Heaven is to be rent asunder, Earth to fall away,
- I, handmaid of an emperor, would grieve if I followed him not.
- We have come to the parting of ways, the quick and the dead walk not together;
- Alas! I am left alone with the grief in my heart.
Prince of Hongnong said to Consort Tang that "one day you were a consort of an emperor, I hope you do not become a wife of other officials or common people. By that, keep your dignity intact.", and took the poison.
Afterwards, Consort came back her hometown. Her father Tang Mao (唐瑁). wished her to marry, but Consort Tang did not follow his wish.
Years later, when Li Jue's army took Changan castle and Li Jue's soldiers plundered its eastern regions, Consort Tang was captured alive by them. Li Jue wanted to make Consort Tang his concubine, she refused resolutely. Later, as Jia Xu told this story to Emperor Xian and Emperor Xian called up Consort Tang to Emperor Shao's tomb, and made her as Queen of Hongnong (弘農王妃).