Constance Towers in The Horse Soldiers (1959)
|Born||Constance Mary Towers
20 May 1933
Whitefish, Montana, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Eugene McGrath (divorced); 2 children
John Gavin; 2 stepchildren
Constance Mary Towers (born 20 May 1933) is an American actress and singer.
Towers was born in Whitefish, Montana, in 1933, the daughter of Ardath L. (née Reynolds) and Harry J. Towers (both born in Ireland according to the 1940 U.S. census.) According to her official website, she was offered a contract with Paramount Pictures at age 11, but the offer was declined by her parents. She later attended Juilliard School of Music and the American Academy of Dramatic Arts.
Towers has had an extensive career on both the stage and screen. She played the title role in the short-lived 1965 musical, Anya, and appeared as Julie in a 1966 production of Show Boat at Lincoln Center. She played Anna Leonowens opposite Yul Brynner in a revival of The King and I on Broadway (1977–1978).
Towers starred in number of movies including The Horse Soldiers (1959), Sergeant Rutledge (1960), Shock Corridor (1963), Fate Is the Hunter, and The Naked Kiss (1964). In later years she appeared in The Next Karate Kid (1994), and A Perfect Murder (1998).
Towers starred in several television soap operas. She played Marian Hiller, the wheelchair-bound wife of Dr. Sanford Hiller in Love is a Many Splendored Thing; as Clarissa McCandless in Capitol; as Madame Julianna Deschanel on Sunset Beach; as villainous Helena Cassadine on General Hospital.
Towers guest-starred in the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine episode "The Forsaken" in 1993. She has had guest roles on a number of popular television programs, including five episodes of Perry Mason. In her first two appearances she played the murderer: Jonny Baker in "The Case of the Missing Melody" (1961), and Esther Metcalfe in "The Case of the Prankish Professor" (1963). She also appeared in Designing Women, Frasier, Baywatch and The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. Other television roles include State Trooper, Hawaii Five-O, The Rockford Files, L.A. Law, The 4400, and Cold Case.
- Bring Your Smile Along (1955) as Nancy Willows
- Over-Exposed (1956) as Shirley Thomas
- The Horse Soldiers (1959) as Miss Hannah Hunter of Greenbriar
- The Renegade (1960) as Felicia Post
- Sergeant Rutledge (1960) as Mary Beecher
- Shock Corridor (1963) as Cathy
- Fate Is the Hunter (1964) as Peg Burke
- The Naked Kiss (1964) as Kelly
- Fast Forward (1985) as Jessie Granger
- Sylvester (1985) as Muffy
- The Loner (1988) as Kate Shane
- The Nutt House (1992) as Mrs. Henderson
- The Next Karate Kid (1994) as Louisa Pierce
- The Relic (1997) as Mrs. Blaisedale
- A Perfect Murder (1998) as Sandra Bradford
- The Awakening of Spring (2008) as Mrs. Gable
- Constance Towers' IMDb profile
- "Constance Towers profile at FilmReference.com". FilmReference.com. Retrieved September 3, 2011.
- "Constance Towers Playing Helena Cassadine on General Hospital - Soaps.com". Soaps.sheknows.com. Retrieved 2013-10-01.
- "Biography - Constance Towers". American Theatre Wing. Retrieved 2013-10-01.
- "Constance Towers Credits". Tvguide.com. 2012-11-28. Retrieved 2013-10-01.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Constance Towers.|
- Official website
- Constance Towers at the Internet Movie Database
- Constance Towers at the Internet Broadway Database