Constitution of Nepal
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
Nepal is governed under the Interim Constitution of Nepal, 2007. It came into force on January 15, 2007. It replaced the Constitution of the Kingdom of Nepal, 1990. The Interim Constitution was drafted to facilitate and manage the Nepali constitutional transformation process that started with the massive people's movement against the Monarchy in April 2006 (Second Jana Andolan). The Interim Constitution was also drafted to manage the transition of Nepal from a unitary, constitutional monarchy country to a federal republic.
Nepal Constituent Assembly
The Interim Constitution provides for a Constituent Assembly, which was charged with writing Nepal's permanent constitution. Under the terms of the Interim Constitution, the new constitution was to be promulgated by May 28, 2010; but the Constituent Assembly changed the deadline of May 28, 2010 by a year because of many points of disagreement between the political parties. On May 25, 2011, the Supreme Court of Nepal ruled that the 2010 extension of the Interim Constitution was not right. After May 29, 2011 the Constituent Assembly kept on extending the Interim Constitution by a few months at a time.
On May 28, 2012, Prime Minister Baburam Bhattarai dissolved the Constituent Assembly after it failed to finish the constitution in its last time extension, ending four years of constitution drafting and leaving the country in a legal vacuum. Elections to a second Constituent Assembly were held on November 19, 2013 and political leaders have pledged to draft a new constitution within a year.
Previous constitutions of Nepal were enacted in 1951, 1959, 1962 and 1990.
- Interim Constitution of Nepal, 2063 (2007) As Amended by the First to Sixth Amendments (Bilingual)
- CA dissolved after epic failure
- BBC: Nepal enters crisis mode as constitution talks fail
- "Nepal takes step towards new constitution. Political leaders pledge to draw up constitution within a year as new parliament convenes.". Al Jazeera. 23 January 2014. Retrieved 24 January 2014.
- International Constitutional Law -- Nepal
- The Centre for Constitutional Dialogue in Kathmandu gathers together in English and Nepali a wide range of news and documentation relevant to the current constitution drafting process.
- Theology at the heart of Nepal’s constitutional crisis - Lapido Media 26/05/2010
-  Interim Constitution of Nepal, 2063 (2007) As Amended by the First to Sixth Amendments (Bilingual)
-  Interim Constitution of Nepal, 2063 (2007) with seventh 7th Amendement
-  Concept Papers from the Constituent Assembly of Nepal
- Final Interim Constitution of Nepal, 2063 (2007) in English and Nepali at worldstatesmen.org
- (Nepali) Final Interim Constitution of Nepal, 2063 (2007) in Nepali at the Nepalese Supreme Court
- Constitution of the Kingdom of Nepal, 2047 (1990)
- Analysis of the 1990 Constitution—Ellingson, T. "The Nepal Constitution of 1990:
Preliminary Considerations", Himalayan Research Bulletin, Vol. XI, Nos. 1-3, 1991 at the University of Texas