|Studio album by Alice Cooper|
|Released||September 22, 1986|
|Genre||Hard rock, heavy metal|
|Alice Cooper chronology|
Constrictor is the sixteenth studio album by rock musician Alice Cooper released on September 22, 1986. After retiring from the music industry after the release of DaDa, Cooper remained in seclusion for three years. He starred in Monster Dog, a horror film for which he wrote two songs. He also guest starred on the Twisted Sister track "Be Chrool to Your Scuel". It was Alice Cooper's first record to feature bass playing from Kip Winger, who would later gain great fame with his own band, Winger.
Cooper sought the aid of heavy metal guitarist Kane Roberts for the album, which resulted in a sound Cooper had never tapped into before. Constrictor exposed a whole new generation of teens to the original shock rocker, returning him to the charts at number 59 after his previous two releases Zipper Catches Skin and DaDa had entirely failed to crack the Top 200. The album also led to one of the most successful tours of the late '80s, "The Nightmare Returns" tour. For all intents and purposes, this was the first "normal" album Cooper had done in nearly 8 years, since his records since From The Inside were seen as largely experimental.
The horror series Friday the 13th teamed up with Cooper during this time to produce the theme song for its latest film. The song "He's Back (The Man Behind the Mask)" was written for Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives. It went on to become a #1 hit in Sweden. Songs also featured in the film include "Teenage Frankenstein" and "Hard Rock Summer", a song that did not end up on the album.
"He's Back (The Man Behind the Mask)" was recorded as a demo before the album, and it was totally different from the final album version. A reworked version of the "He's Back" demo landed on the album as "Trick Bag" instead. The version of "He's Back" that was featured in Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives was remixed from the album version.
- "Teenage Frankenstein" – 3:40
- "Give It Up" – 4:13
- "Thrill My Gorilla" – 2:56
- "Life and Death of the Party" – 3:45
- "Simple Disobedience" – 3:30
- "The World Needs Guts" – 3:59
- "Trick Bag" (Cooper, Roberts, Tom Kelly) – 4:18
- "Crawlin'" (Cooper, Roberts, Michael Wagener) – 3:22
- "The Great American Success Story" (Cooper, Roberts, Beau Hill) – 3:38
- "He's Back (The Man Behind the Mask) (Theme from the motion picture Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives)" (Cooper, Roberts, Kelly) – 3:49
- Alice Cooper - vocals
- Kane Roberts - bass guitar, guitar, keyboards, backing vocals
- Paul Delph - keyboards, backing vocals
- Beau Hill - backing vocals
- Tom Kelly - backing vocals
- Donnie Kisselbach - bass guitar
- David Rosenberg - drums
- Kip Winger - bass guitar
Billboard (North America)
|1986||The Billboard 200||59|