Container Corporation of India
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (June 2010)|
||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (April 2012)|
Container Corporation of India Ltd. (CONCOR) is a Navratna Public sector undertaking under the Indian Ministry of Railways. Incorporated in March 1988 under the Companies Act, CONCOR commenced operations in November 1989 taking over an existing network of seven inland container depots (ICDs) from Indian Railways. It now has a network of 61 ICDs/CFSs (Container Freight Stations) throughout India.
Indian Railway's strategic initiative to containerize cargo transport put India on the intermodal freight transport map for the first time in 1966. Given India's size (almost 3,000 kilometres (1,900 mi) from North to South and East to West), rail transport is often a cheaper option for all cargo over medium and long distances, especially if the cost of inter-modal transfers can be reduced. Seeing that containerized multi-modal door-to-door transport provided a solution to this problem, in 1966 Indian Railways entered the market for moving door-to-door domestic cargo in special DSO containers.
Although the first ISO container in India had been handled in Kochi as early as 1973, it was not until 1981 that the first ISO container was moved inland by Indian Railways to the country's first ICD at Bangalore, also managed by the Indian Railways.
Expansion of the network to seven ICDs by 1988 saw an increase in container handling capacity, while along the way a strong view emerged that there was a need to set up a separate pro-active organization to promote and manage the growth of containerization in India.
Achievements and awards
- MOU Excellence Award for four consecutive years (2004–05, 2005–06, 2006–07 & 2007–08) among top ten CPSE.[clarification needed]
- ISO-9001:2000 quality systems certification for 35 Terminals/units obtained up to financial year 2007–08. 16 terminals/units certified to ISO 9001:2008 standards in financial year 2008–09.
- CONCOR was recognised as the top Indian company in the shipping and logistics sector in the Dun & Bradstreet-American Express corporate awards, 2007 & 2008 consecutively.
- CONCOR has received a corporate excellence award from Amity International[who?] for the year 2007.
- Obtained ISO/IEC 27001-2005 certification from STQC for its certification services to the (Ministry of Communication and Information Technology) for establishing an Information Security Management System (ISMS).
- CONCOR won an award for the “Web Based integrated container/terminal management system” project judged by AFACT (Asia-Pacific Council for Trade Facilitation and Electronic Business) as a winner of the e-Asia 2009 award in the category “electronic business in the public sector”.
- Container Corporation of India Ltd. (CONCOR) Official Website
- Report on the Indian Logistics Industry, May 2012 - Dinodia Capital Advisors