||This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2011)
Contrails is a small handbook issued to new cadets entering the United States Air Force Academy. It contains information on United States Air Force and United States military history; Academy history; notable Academy graduates; aircraft, satellites, and munitions in the current U.S. Air Force inventory; transcripts of important national documents such as the Preamble to the Constitution and the full national anthem; and famous quotes, which are usually patriotic or leadership-related. Cadets in their fourth class (freshman) year are expected to learn most of the information from Contrails, and be able to recite much of it verbatim. Contrails has traditionally been published in the class color—Blue, Silver, Red, or Gold—of the freshman class.
Some excerpts form Contrails:
- Recital Time (Minimum) of the following is six seconds:
- International Phonetic Alphabet: "Sir, The International Phonetic Alphabet is Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Echo, Foxtrot, Golf, Hotel, India, Juliet, Kilo, Lima, Mike, November, Oscar, Papa, Quebec, Romeo, Sierra, Tango, Uniform, Victor, Whiskey, X-Ray, Yankee, Zulu." (Lima is LEE-Ma, Quebec is KAY-Bek.)
- Recital Time (Minimum) of the following is four seconds.
- Mission of the United States Air Force: "Sir, The Mission of the United States Air Force is as follows: to fly fight and win... in air, space, and cyberspace."
- Recital Time (Minimum) of the following is one second:
- Spell 'Sir:' "Sir, SIR, is spelled 'S,' 'I,' 'R'."
Archive of Contrails covers