Control Risks Group
|Headquarters||London, United Kingdom|
|Number of locations||36 offices across the globe|
||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (January 2014)|
Control Risks is a global risk and strategic consulting firm specialising in political, security and integrity risk. Operating from 34 offices, the company’s primary services include anti-corruption audits, consultancy and training, eDiscovery, political risk analysis and a broad range of security and crisis management support.
Control Risks was formed in 1975, as a professional adviser to the insurance industry. As a subsidiary of insurance broker, Hogg Robinson, Control Risks aimed to help minimize their exposure to kidnap and ransom payouts. The company expanded its capabilities when these crisis management and incident response specialists were joined by political and security risk analysts, before achieving independence in 1982 following a management buyout.
As multinational organizations demanded a more holistic suite of risk management services, Control Risks delivered a wider range of services from more international locations. In the 1990s, as multinationals started doing business in more unfamiliar territories, business intelligence and investigations became a growth area. Since then Control Risks has conducted due diligence on behalf of many of the world’s largest companies, researching into their potential business partners, agents and employees.
Control Risks formed a joint venture with International SOS in 2008, and through this partnership provides travel security services and advice to clients’ business travelers and expatriate employees. In 2010, Control Risks launched an eDiscovery offering to support organizations with complex, multi-national litigation issues.
The company has continued its expansion and today is a business of over 2,000 employees, operating from a network of 34 offices and with an on-the-ground presence in more than 100 countries and cities including; Abu Dhabi, Amsterdam, Baghdad, Beijing, Berlin, Bogotá, Copenhagen, Delhi, Dubai, Hong Kong, Houston, Islamabad, Jakarta, Johannesburg, Kabul, Lagos, London, Los Angeles, Mexico City, Moscow, Mumbai, New York, Paris, São Paulo, Shanghai, Singapore, Sydney, Tokyo, and Washington DC.
Control Risks’ consultancy support is broken down into three core risk areas: integrity, security and political.
Services provided include design and delivery of corruption prevention programmes, undertaking transaction related due diligence and agent screening, managing whistleblower hotlines and conducting investigations into allegations of malfeasance.
A team of political risk analysts provides assessment of how political risk issues impact business at the global, regional and country level through bespoke client report work and the subscription services Country Risk Forecast and PRIME.
Services provided include threat assessment, embedded consultancy, security design, travel security and executive protection and emergency crisis management and incident response.
Current directors and officers
- Crawford Gillies: Chairman
- Richard Fenning: Chief Executive Officer
- John Conyngham: Global director of investigations
- "Cracking Crime in Brazil" by James Wygand, GM of Southern Cone, CRG in São Paulo, Brazil, July 2000.
- Philip Alcock, Senior Consultant, Crisis Management at CRG, "How to Handle A Crisis"
- Letter from Sir James Adams of CRG to the UK Parliament, June 30, 1998
- British Victim of Baghdad Bomb Named by PA News, May 25, 2004
- "Study Finds London Top Target for Terrorist Attack" by Jo Mazzocchi,ABC: The World Today, November 12, 2003.
- "Diplomatic guards may quit in Baghdad pay row" Liz Chong and Richard Beeston, The Times, May 27, 2006
- "The murky world of hostage negotiations: is the price ever right?". The Guardian. 25 August 2014.
- "International SOS and Control Risks form joint venture". International SOS. 7 March 2008.
- "Control Risks Group Holdings Limited: Private Company Information - BusinessWeek". investing.businessweek.com. 2011. Retrieved 7 June 2011.
- "Control Risks Group Expands Investigative Services with Opening of San Francisco Office". PR Newswire. August 31, 1999.
- "Testimony of John Conyngham Esq Global Director of Investigations, Control Risks Group Limited Before the Committee on Financial Services Subcommittee on Financial Institutions and Consumer Credit, US House of Representative". United States House of Representatives. May 9, 2002.