Converse Memorial Library
Converse Memorial Library
Converse Memorial Building
|Location||36 Salem Street, Malden, Massachusetts|
|Area||1 acre (0.40 ha)|
|Architect||H.H. Richardson; Shepley, Rutan & Coolidge|
|Architectural style||Richardson Romanesque|
|NRHP Reference #||85002014|
|Added to NRHP||September 05, 1985|
|Designated NHL||December 23, 1987|
The Converse Memorial Building, also known as Converse Memorial Library, is a public library building designed by noted American architect H. H. Richardson. From 1885 to 1996, when construction of a new library addition was completed, the building was also home to the Malden Public Library. The Converse Memorial Building is located at 36 Salem Street, Malden, Massachusetts.
The building was a gift of Elisha S. and Mary D. Converse in memory of their murdered son, Frank Eugene Converse who was the victim of the first bank robbery/murder in North America. It was constructed 1883-1885 in an overall L-shape, with a facade of brown Longmeadow sandstone, a tower rising from the L's inner corner, and a heavily arched entry porch set within the L's short arm. The main library room is 50 x 36 feet and finished in elaborately carved white oak with a high, vaulted ceiling. Its furniture was designed by Richardson and manufactured by the Boston firm of A. H. Davenport and Company.
In 1896 two additions were made to the building, designed by Richardson's successors, the firm of Shepley, Rutan & Coolidge. One gable-roofed wing extends the building to the rear, along Park Street, following the same general lines of the existing structure. The other addition was a flat-roofed rectangular stack area also attached to the rear. An octagonal gallery space further extended the rear in 1916, designed by Newhall and Blevins.
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Middlesex County, Massachusetts
- List of National Historic Landmarks in Massachusetts
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2007-01-23.
- "Converse Memorial Library". National Historic Landmark summary listing. National Park Service. Retrieved 2008-07-07.
- Carolyn Pitts. "National Register of Historic Places Inventory-Nomination: Converse Memorial Library / Malden Public Library" (pdf). National Park Service. (includes plans and drawings) and PDF (32 KB)
- Jeffrey Karl Ochsner, H. H. Richardson: Complete Architectural Works, MIT Press, 1985, page 314. ISBN 0-262-65015-0.
- American Library Association, Annual Conference Proceedings of the American Library Association, 1889, pages 78–79.
- National Historic Landmarks entry
- Digital Archive of American Architecture