Conway Springs, Kansas
|Conway Springs, Kansas|
Location of Conway Springs, Kansas
|• Total||0.82 sq mi (2.12 km2)|
|• Land||0.82 sq mi (2.12 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,371 ft (418 m)|
|• Estimate (2012)||1,248|
|• Density||1,551.2/sq mi (598.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0470270|
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Conway Springs has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2010, there were 1,272 people, 450 households, and 313 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,551.2 inhabitants per square mile (598.9/km2). There were 506 housing units at an average density of 617.1 per square mile (238.3/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 96.6% White, 0.6% African American, 0.6% Native American, 0.4% from other races, and 1.9% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.1% of the population.
There were 450 households of which 40.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 56.9% were married couples living together, 8.4% had a female householder with no husband present, 4.2% had a male householder with no wife present, and 30.4% were non-families. 27.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.73 and the average family size was 3.38.
The median age in the city was 34.1 years. 32.5% of residents were under the age of 18; 6% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 23.4% were from 25 to 44; 21.5% were from 45 to 64; and 16.6% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 47.2% male and 52.8% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,322 people, 469 households, and 318 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,684.6 people per square mile (654.4/km²). There were 501 housing units at an average density of 638.4 per square mile (248.0/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 97.05% White, 0.23% African American, 0.23% Native American, 1.13% from other races, and 1.36% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.29% of the population.
There were 469 households out of which 38.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.2% were married couples living together, 10.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.0% were non-families. 31.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 16.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.71 and the average family size was 3.46.
In the city the population was spread out with 33.5% under the age of 18, 7.2% from 18 to 24, 24.4% from 25 to 44, 17.5% from 45 to 64, and 17.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 34 years. For every 100 females there were 86.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 78.7 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $37,566, and the median income for a family was $48,000. Males had a median income of $35,893 versus $21,875 for females. The per capita income for the city was $15,470. About 3.5% of families and 4.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 3.7% of those under age 18 and 6.3% of those age 65 or over.
- Lloyd Bishop, baseball player
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-07-06.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-07-06.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-05-29.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "2010 City Population and Housing Occupancy Status". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved March 6, 2011.
- Kansas State Historical Society (1916). Biennial Report of the Board of Directors of the Kansas State Historical Society. Kansas State Printing Plant. p. 306.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Climate Summary for Conway Springs, Kansas
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Conway Springs, Kansas.|
- USD 356, local school district
- Conway Springs City Map, KDOT