Cookin' with the Miracles
|Cookin' with the Miracles|
|Studio album by The Miracles|
|Released||November 13, 1961|
|Producer||Berry Gordy, Jr.|
|The Miracles chronology|
Cookin' with the Miracles is the second Tamla album by The Miracles, and their second of 1961. Berry Gordy and Smokey Robinson co-wrote most of the songs, including the two charting singles "Ain't It Baby" and "Everybody's Gotta Pay Some Dues". The album is composed mostly of upbeat R&B tunes with steady string riffs, like "Determination" and "Broken Hearted". A cover of the jazz standard "Embraceable You" by George & Ira Gershwin is also included. The Miracles' song That's The Way I Feel, also from this album, was chosen for the soundtrack of the award-winning 1964 Ivan Dixon film Nothing But a Man.
- The album was released in compact disc in 1994, with "Mighty Good Lovin'" as a bonus track. A non-album single, "Mighty Good Lovin'" was originally issued on Tamla in June 1961, with "Broken Hearted" as its B-side. Both songs charted on the Billboard Hot 100.
- Cookin' with the Miracles is one of only two Miracles albums to feature on its cover the complete original six-member group lineup: Smokey Robinson, Bobby Rogers, Claudette Rogers Robinson, Pete Moore, Ronnie White and Marv Tarplin.
- Cookin' with the Miracles and four other Miracles albums were re-released as part of the 2009 Motown limited-edition CD release The Miracles: Depend On Me.  
All selections produced by Berry Gordy, Jr..
- "That's The Way I Feel" (Berry Gordy, Jr., William "Smokey" Robinson, Jr.) (2:38)
- "Everybody's Gotta Pay Some Dues" (Robinson, Ronald White) (2:55)
- "Mama" (Robinson, Janie Bradford, Gordy) (2:18)
- "Ain't It Baby" (Gordy, Robinson) (2:33)
- "Determination" (Robinson) (2:17)
- "You Never Miss A Good Thing" (Gordy, Robinson) (2:42)
- "Embraceable You" (George & Ira Gershwin) (2:49)
- "The Only One I Love" (Robinson) (2:34)
- "Broken Hearted" (Gordy, Robinson) (2:56)
- "I Can't Believe" (Robinson) (2:52)
2004 CD reissue bonus track
- "Mighty Good Lovin'" (Robinson) (2:37)
Personnel: The Miracles
- Smokey Robinson: lead vocals (1st tenor/falsetto)
- Ronnie White: background vocals (baritone)
- Bobby Rogers: background vocals (2nd tenor)
- Warren "Pete" Moore: background vocals (bass)
- Claudette Robinson: background vocals (soprano)
- Marv Tarplin: guitar
- Berry Gordy, Jr., producer, album executive producer
- The Funk Brothers: instrumentation