|Written by||Bob Nolan|
|Recorded by||Vaughn Monroe and The Sons of the Pioneers, Hank Williams, Frankie Laine, Marty Robbins, Burl Ives, Odetta, Riders in the Sky, Jack Scott, Ramblin' Jack Elliott, The Rooftop Singers, Slim Whitman, Johnnie Ray, Mason Williams, Joni Mitchell, Leo Kottke, Johnny Cash|
|Performed by||Hank Marvin and Bruce Welch|
The best-selling recorded version was done by Vaughn Monroe and The Sons of the Pioneers in 1948. The recording was released by RCA Victor Records as catalog number 20-2923. The record was on the Billboard magazine chart for 13 weeks beginning on August 6, 1948, peaking at #9. 
Hank Williams recorded the song in 1948 or 1949 for the Johnny Fair Syrup Company radio show on KWKH in Shreveport, Louisiana. The recording is available on The Complete Hank Williams boxed set, released on Mercury Records in 1998. It also appears in the film Rango, set in an Old West town populated by animals that is suffering from drought. Every Wednesday, the townspeople perform a ritual they believe will return water to their town, during which the song plays over a PA system.
The Muppets (Lubbock Lou and His Jughuggers) also covered the song on the set for "Singin' in the Rain" in Episode 501 after Gene Kelly refuses to go on.
- Frankie Laine version
|United Kingdom (NME)||2|
|United Kingdom (Record Mirror)||1|
- Whitburn, Joel (1973). Top Pop Records 1940-1955. Record Research.
- Cool Water Songfacts
- "Artist Chart History Details: Frankie Laine". The Official Charts Company. Retrieved 4 August 2010.
- McAleer, Dave. "Every No.1 in the 1960s is listed from all the nine different magazine charts!". Dave McAleer's website. Retrieved 4 November 2010.
- Bob Nolan 1994 WMA Hall of Fame Member last accessed February 22, 2007.
- Vaughn Monroe -1973 last accessed February 22, 2007.
- The Legendary Frankie Lane last accessed February 22, 2007.
- Gypsy/Cool Water (1982) - Fleetwood Mac last accessed February 22, 2007.