Coolaroo railway station
Looking towards the city from the footbridge
|Station status||Unmanned station|
|Website||Link, includes timetables|
Coolaroo is a suburban railway station located in myki Zone 2 on the Craigieburn railway line in the Melbourne suburb of Coolaroo, Victoria. The station opened to passengers on Sunday 6 June 2010, and serves around 25,000 people living in the suburbs of Coolaroo, Dallas and Meadow Heights.
The station features:
- a bus interchange
- 490 car parking and 'park-and-ride' facilities
- side platform layout
- a pedestrian overpass and lifts.
The Government of Victoria set aside $38 million for the construction of the station in the 2007-2008 budget, an amount criticised by the Public Transport Users Association as excessive. Completion was expected in 2010, with the project re-announced as part of the state government Victorian Transport Plan of December 2008. Leighton Contractors were awarded the construction contract. Although long proposed, the station was built separately to the 2007 extension of suburban trains and electrification from Broadmeadows to Craigieburn.
Work on the slewing of the parallel standard gauge track commenced in December 2008 and was completed by January 2009 to allow construction of the city-bound platform. Work on the lift wells was underway by August, with the main span of the footbridge lifted into place in October 2009. In November 2009 it was made public that the city-bound platform had been built 150mm too low, with the building contractors responsible for rectifying the issue at a cost of approximately $100,000.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Coolaroo railway station, Melbourne.|
- "More peak hour services for Melbourne’s south east". Media Release: Minister for Public Transport. 28 April 2010. Retrieved 2010-04-28.
- "Coolaroo Train Project". Victorian Transport Plan. www4.transport.vic.gov.au. Retrieved 2008-12-08.[dead link]
- Department of Infrastructure - New metropolitan railway stations
- "Hume Leader - 'Rail pledge quizzed' - 21 November 2006". Retrieved 2007-07-30.
- "Working Victoria - Coolaroo Station". www.workingvictoria.vic.gov.au. Retrieved 2009-11-26.
- "Northern side of the new footbridge at Coolaroo, having been lifted into place that morning". Wongm's Rail Gallery. October 3, 2009. Retrieved 2010-04-28.
- Unattributed (2009-11-26). "News in brief: Platform to be raised". The Age. p. 13. Retrieved 2009-11-26.
- "Wongm's Rail Gallery - Coolaroo station opening". railgallery.wongm.com. June 6, 2010. Retrieved 2010-06-08.