Entering Coolboy village from the west
|Elevation||95 m (312 ft)|
|Irish Grid Reference||T036691|
Location and access
It is located on the R748 road which links the town of Aughrim with Carnew (via the R747). The village is situated near the southern point of the Wicklow Way which winds through the Wicklow Mountains.
Most of the village dates from the early part of the 19th century. In this time the area was dominated by the Fitzwilliam family who lived in nearby Coolattin House. The Coolattin estate once comprised 88,000 acres (360 km2), had 20,000 tenants and occupied almost a quarter of County Wicklow.
Coolboy is unusual in that there is no church in the village. The closest church lies 2 km to the south of the village in the nearby village of Coolafancy, as does the only primary school in the area.
- Tomnafinnoge Woods is the location of woodland walks. One of the walks travels along the line of the former railway, leading to the nearby town of Tinahely.
- Coolboy is 3km from Coolattin Golf Club which features an 18 hole, par 70 course.
- The village has a handball alley, home of the Coolboy Handball Team.
- The Tinahely Agricultural Show takes place near Coolboy annually on the first Monday of August (a bank holiday in the Republic). The one day Show is held at Fairwood Park and has been running for over 70 years.
- "Census 2006 – Volume 1 – Population Classified by Area" (PDF). Central Statistics Office Census 2006 Reports. Central Statistics Office Ireland. April 2007. Retrieved 2011-06-05.
- Keenan, Mark (01-06-2003). "Ireland: Tunnel vision brings history to life". The Times. Retrieved 2010-06-09. Check date values in: