Welcome Sign, in 2010
Location within Hamilton County (left) and Kansas (right)
|• Total||0.46 sq mi (1.19 km2)|
|• Land||0.46 sq mi (1.19 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||3,356 ft (1,023 m)|
|• Estimate (2012)||94|
|• Density||206.5/sq mi (79.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Mountain (MST) (UTC-7)|
|• Summer (DST)||MDT (UTC-6)|
|FIPS code||20-15400 |
|GNIS feature ID||0485265 |
The first post office in Coolidge was established in July 1881.
As of the census of 2010, there were 95 people, 43 households, and 26 families residing in the city. The population density was 206.5 inhabitants per square mile (79.7/km2). There were 49 housing units at an average density of 106.5 per square mile (41.1/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 82.1% White and 17.9% from other races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 33.7% of the population.
There were 43 households of which 30.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 41.9% were married couples living together, 9.3% had a female householder with no husband present, 9.3% had a male householder with no wife present, and 39.5% were non-families. 32.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 18.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.21 and the average family size was 2.88.
The median age in the city was 42.1 years. 25.3% of residents were under the age of 18; 2% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 27.4% were from 25 to 44; 28.4% were from 45 to 64; and 16.8% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 50.5% male and 49.5% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 86 people, 36 households, and 25 families residing in the city. The population density was 187.4 people per square mile (72.2/km²). There were 41 housing units at an average density of 89.3 per square mile (34.4/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 70.93% White, 26.74% from other races, and 2.33% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 33.72% of the population.
There were 36 households out of which 33.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 66.7% were married couples living together, 5.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.8% were non-families. 27.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 22.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.39 and the average family size was 2.88.
In the city the population was spread out with 19.8% under the age of 18, 8.1% from 18 to 24, 24.4% from 25 to 44, 19.8% from 45 to 64, and 27.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 43 years. For every 100 females there were 83.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 86.5 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $36,250, and the median income for a family was $36,250. Males had a median income of $22,000 versus $26,250 for females. The per capita income for the city was $17,485. There were no families and 3.0% of the population living below the poverty line, including no under eighteens and 6.3% of those over 64.
Santa Fe Trail marker in Coolidge, Kansas.
Grain elevator in Coolidge.
The closed Cactus Cafe on U.S. Highway 50 in Coolidge is for sale, a reminder of yesteryear on the Great Plains.
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-07-06.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-07-06.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-05-29.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "2010 City Population and Housing Occupancy Status". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved August 31, 2011.
- Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway : Annual Meetings, and Directors and Officers : Volumes 7; AT&SF Railway; 1902. (12MB PDF)
- "Profile for Coolidge, Kansas". ePodunk. Retrieved 11 June 2014.
- "Kansas Post Offices, 1828-1961 (archived)". Kansas Historical Society. Retrieved 11 June 2014.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Climate Summary for Coolidge, Kansas
- The Story of the Marking of the Santa Fe Trail by the Daughters of the American Revolution in Kansas and the State of Kansas; Almira Cordry; Crane Co; 164 pages; 1915.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Coolidge, Kansas.|
- USD 494, local school district
- Coolidge City Map, KDOT