Coolie No. 1 (Hindi film)
- For 1991 Telugu language movie, see Coolie No. 1
|Coolie No. 1|
|Directed by||David Dhawan|
|Produced by||Vashu Bhagnani
|Written by||Rumi Jaffery
|Edited by||A. Muthu|
|Release date(s)||30 June 1995|
|Running time||161 min.|
|Box office||283 million (US$4.8 million) Original
710 million (US$12 million) Adjusted
Coolie No. 1 is a 1995 Bollywood comedy film directed by David Dhawan. The film stars Karisma Kapoor, Govinda, Shakti Kapoor, Kadar Khan, Sadashiv Amrapurkar with music by Anand-Milind. This movie was one of the first successful movie of Karisma Kapoor. Actor Govinda got Star Screen Award Special Jury Award for his role in this movie as 'performer of the decade'. Over the years the movie has became a classic in Indian film history and is now considered a cult film. It's a remake of Tamil film Chinna Mapillai.
Shaadiram Gharjode (Sadashiv Amrapurkar) is once humiliated by Hoshiyar Chand (Kader Khan) when Shaadiram goes to inform him about a family wanting to marry their son to Hoshiyar's daughter. Hoshiyar Chand insults them as he wants both his daughters to marry into the richest family. Gharjode decides to teach Hoshiyar Chand a lesson: He meets a coolie called Raju (Govinda) and they go to Hoshiyar Chand's village pretending to be a rich family. Hoshiyar is impressed and he wants his daughter Malti (Karisma Kapoor) to marry Raju. This leads to humorous situations in the climax.
- Karisma Kapoor....Malti
- Harish Kumar....Deepak
- Kader Khan....Hoshiyar Chand
- Shakti Kapoor....Mama Thakur
- Sadashiv Amrapurkar....Pandit Shadiram Gharjode
- Javed Khan....Taxi Driver
- Kulbhushan Kharbanda
- Sanij Raj Pandey ... Driver
The music of Coolie No. 1 was a rage when it released. Although producers Tips films and Vashu Bhagnani and director David Dhawan were extremely confident that Husn Hain Suhana rendered by Abhijeet and Chandana Dixit would be the selling factor of the album, it was Main To Raste Se Ja Raha tha that did the trick. The music of Coolie No. 1 strengthened Anand-Milind and Govinda/David Dhawan's track record of coming up with super hit music with each outing
|1||Aa Jaana Aa Jaana||Kumar Sanu, Alka Yagnik||06:22|
|2||Jeth Ki Dopahri Mein||Kumar Sanu, Poornima||05:00|
|3||Coolie No. 1||Kumar Sanu||05:24|
|4||Husn Hai Suhana||Abhijeet, Chandana Dixit||06:00|
|5||Tere Pyar Mein Dil Deewana||Udit Narayan, Alka Yagnik||05:00|
|6||Kya Majnu Kya Ranjha||Kumar Sanu, Sadhna Sargam||06:31|
|7||Main To Raste Se Jaa Raha Tha||Kumar Sanu, Alka Yagnik||05:18|
- "Boxofficeindia.com". Boxofficeindia.com. Retrieved 21 October 2011.
- "The Hindu News Update Service". The Hindu (India). 18 July 2009. Retrieved 21 October 2011.
- "David Dhawan has acting dreams, and Govinda's in them!". Sify.com. 19 September 2009. Retrieved 21 October 2011.
- "Govinda, the actor or the politician? – Bollywood Movie News". IndiaGlitz. Retrieved 21 October 2011.
- "David-Govinda duo returns with Do Knot Disturb". Screenindia.com. 29 June 2008. Retrieved 21 October 2011.
- "Govinda teams up with David". The Times of India. 2 October 2009. Retrieved 21 October 2011.
- "Journey to Destination Cool". The Hindu (India). 2 May 2003. Retrieved 21 October 2011.
- "Govinda Wapas Aala Re". Bollywoodhungama.com. 31 October 2006. Retrieved 21 October 2011.
- "The blue-eyed baby". The Indian Express. India. 6 February 1998. Retrieved 21 October 2011.
- "8th Annual Asian Paints STAR SCREEN Weekly Awards". Screenindia.com. Retrieved 21 October 2011.
- "Bollywood Star Govinda – Film Actor Govinda – Govinda Biography – Chichi Govinda Profile". Iloveindia.com. Retrieved 21 October 2011.
- Gulazāra; Govind Nihalani; Saibal Chatterjee (2003). Encyclopaedia of Hindi Cinema. Popular Prakashan. p. 572. ISBN 978-81-7991-066-5.