Location of Cooper within the U.S. city of Minneapolis
|• Total||0.67 sq mi (1.7 km2)|
|• Density||5,200/sq mi (2,000/km2)|
|Time zone||CST (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
The Cooper neighborhood (part of the larger Longfellow community) resides along West shore of the Mississippi River in South Minneapolis. It is bound by 34th St E on the South, 38th Ave S on the West, 27th St E on the North, and the Mississippi River Gorge to the East. Bordering neighborhoods are Seward to the North, Longfellow to the West, and Howe to the South. St. Paul's Merriam Park neighborhood is just across the Mississippi River to the East.
The Mississippi River Gorge is unique to this stretch of the entire Mississippi. The river cut an eighty-plus foot gorge as what is now St. Anthony Falls moved upstream over thousands of years, finally stopping at downtown Minneapolis due to engineering work during the city's flour milling boom times. Today, the Mississippi River Gorge is a protected natural landscape.
2005 marked the closing of Cooper Elementary School, forcing Cooper's children to hoof it to neighboring Longfellow Elementary, which itself closed in 2010 . The current elementary school for Cooperites is the Hiawatha-Howe dual campus. Minneapolis Public Schools has committed to renovating and re-opening Cooper school for the 2017-18 school year.
Sanford Middle School (formerly Jr. High) is the closest Middle School, and resides in the Howe neighborhood to the South.
Minnehaha Academy's High School (private) resides along West River Rd. The Middle School is further South on West River Rd. in the Howe neighborhood.
Find other nearby schools here: 
Cooper is represented by the following people:
- City Council (2nd Ward): Cam Gordon
- City Council (12th Ward): Sandy Colvin Roy
- Minneapolis Park Board (3rd Precinct): Scott Vreeland
- Minneapolis Mayor: Betsy Hodges
- Hennepin County Commissioner: Peter McLaughlin
- Minnesota House of Representatives (District 62A): Jim Davnie
- Minnesota Senate (District 62): Patricia Torres Ray
- US House of Representatives: Keith Ellison
- Former Minnesota Governor Jesse Ventura grew up in the house on the southwest corner of 32nd St E and 46th Ave S.
- "Cooper neighborhood in Minneapolis, Minnesota (MN), 55406 detailed profile". City-Data. 2011. Retrieved 2013-11-12.
- "Minneapolis Neighborhood Profile: Cooper" (PDF). Minnesota Compass. October 2011. Retrieved 2013-11-12.
- "Doors close on 4 Minneapolis schools".
- "District map" (PDF).
- "Five-year enrollment plan, December 10, 2013".
- Street map of Cooper from Google Maps
|Longfellow||Saint Paul, Minnesota|