Cooper Creek Reservoir
|Cooper Creek Reservoir|
|Location||Douglas County, Oregon|
|Primary inflows||Cooper Creek|
|Primary outflows||Cooper Creek|
|Catchment area||4.5 square miles (12 km2)|
|Basin countries||United States|
|Surface area||166 acres (67 ha)|
|Average depth||23 feet (7.0 m)|
|Max. depth||70 feet (21 m)|
|Water volume||3,800 acre feet (4,700,000 m3)|
|Residence time||9 months|
|Shore length1||5.1 miles (8.2 km)|
|Surface elevation||673 feet (205 m)|
|1 Shore length is not a well-defined measure.|
Cooper Creek Reservoir is a body of water behind an earthen dam across Cooper Creek in the Umpqua River basin of the U.S. state of Oregon. The reservoir is in Douglas County, about 2 miles (3 km) east of Sutherlin and about 11 miles (18 km) north of Roseburg. The impoundment provides part of Sutherlin's drinking water.
The reservoir supports populations of largemouth bass, panfish, and stocked rainbow trout. The panfish and bass grow to large sizes, but mercury pollution from old mine tailings upstream makes eating them risky. In 2001, the Oregon Department of Human Services issued a mercury-related health advisory for fish caught in the reservoir. However, municipal water from the reservoir was deemed safe to drink, and the mercury posed no threat to recreational activities in the lake. Mercury levels in the fish were not expected to diminish in the foreseeable future.
Cooper Creek Reservoir Park, managed by Douglas County, has two boat launches, a swimming area, and a dock. It offers opportunities for fishing, waterskiing, and jet skiing. Amenities include a pavilion, a picnic area, and toilets. The park is for day use only, and no camping is allowed. A hiking trail circles the reservoir.
- Johnson, Daniel M.; Petersen, Richard R.; Lycan, D. Richard; Sweet, James W.; Neuhaus, Mark E., and Schaedel, Andrew L. (1985). Atlas of Oregon Lakes. Corvallis: Oregon State University Press. p. 174. ISBN 0-87071-343-4.
- "Atlas of Oregon Lakes: Cooper Creek Reservoir (Douglas County)". Portland State University. 1985–2012. Retrieved January 3, 2013.
- "Cooper Creek Reservoir". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. May 22, 1986. Retrieved January 5, 2013.
- "Source Water Assessment Summary Brochure, City of Sutherlin" (PDF). Oregon Department of Environmental Quality. 2003. Retrieved January 5, 2013.
- Sheehan, Madelynne Diness (2005). Fishing in Oregon: The Complete Oregon Fishing Guide (10th ed.). Scappoose, Oregon: Flying Pencil Publications. p. 64. ISBN 0-916473-15-5.
- "Elevated Levels of Mercury in Sport-Caught Fish from Cooper Creek Reservoir, Douglas County" (PDF). Oregon Department of Human Services. February 12, 2001. Retrieved January 5, 2013.
- "Cooper Creek Reservoir". Douglas County. October 15, 2009. Retrieved January 5, 2013.