Cop Car (Keith Urban song)
|Single by Keith Urban|
|from the album Fuse|
|Released||13 January 2014|
|Keith Urban singles chronology|
"Cop Car" is a song written by written by Zach Crowell, Sam Hunt, and Matt Jenkins and recorded by Australian country music singer Keith Urban. It was released in January 2014 as the third international single and fourth overall from his eighth studio album, Fuse (2013).
The song is a mid-tempo ballad about two young lovers who are arrested when trespassing together, and "[fall] in love in the back of a cop car".
Joseph Hudak of Country Weekly gave the single a "B+", saying that "It's a clever concept, elevated to near greatness by its sheer originality." He praised Urban's "earnest" vocals, and said that "the production is slick and alive—though not necessarily squarely 'country'." Kevin John Coyne of Country Universe gave it an identical rating, saying that he did not believe its storyline, but said that "Keith Urban’s heartfelt delivery and careful choice of what lines to emphasize keep the proceedings grounded. He’s so effective at capturing the feeling of falling in love that the specifics of the event surrounding the moment are appropriately secondary to the emotions at play." Thom Jurek of AllMusic wrote that "The muted drum loop that fuels the shimmering 'Cop Car,' is layered in atmospherics worthy of Achtung Baby, but the melody is pure country."
Compiled from liner notes.
- Zach Crowell — programming, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, bass guitar, piano, percussion, synthesizer, background vocals
- John Fields — bass guitar
- Devin Malone — dobro, pedal steel guitar, electric guitar
- Chris McHugh — drums
- Russell Terrell — background vocals
- Keith Urban — all vocals, electric guitar, EBow
The music video was directed by John Urbano and premiered in January 2014.
"Cop Car" peaked at number 8 on the Country airplay chart in May 2014, making it his lowest peaking single on that chart since 1999. The song has sold 772,000 copies in the U.S. as of June 2014.
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||38|
|Canada Country (Billboard)||5|
|US Billboard Hot 100||41|
|US Country Airplay (Billboard)||8|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||4|
|US Country Airplay (Billboard)||52|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||27|
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||500,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
Sam Hunt version
|Song by Sam Hunt from the album Montevallo|
|Released||October 27, 2014|
|Montevallo track listing|
Hunt explains that the reason he included the song on his album is because "After writing the songs on the record, it was like a movie, and Cop Car was a pivotal scene in that movie. Even though Keith Urban had recorded it, I felt it still had a place on the record."
- Fuse (Deluxe Edition) (CD booklet). Keith Urban. Capitol Records Nashville/Hit Red Records. 2013. B0019113-02.
- Hudak, Joseph (27 January 2014). "Singles: Keith Urban — 'Cop Car'". Country Weekly 21 (4): 50.
- Coyne, Kevin John (16 January 2014). "'Cop Car' review". Country Universe. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- Jurek, Thom. "Fuse review". Allmusic. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- Wyland, Sarah (28 January 2014). "Watch Keith Urban’s "Cop Car" Music Video". Great American Country. Retrieved 30 January 2014.
- Bjorke, Matt (June 19, 2014). "Country Chart News: The Top 30 Digital Singles For June 19, 2014". Roughstock.
- "Keith Urban Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for Keith Urban.
- "Keith Urban Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Canada Country for Keith Urban.
- "Keith Urban Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Keith Urban.
- "Keith Urban Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Country Airplay for Keith Urban.
- "Keith Urban Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Keith Urban.
- "Best of 2014: Country Airplay". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2014. Retrieved December 9, 2014.
- "Best of 2014: Hot Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2014. Retrieved December 9, 2014.
- "American single certifications – Keith Urban – Cop Car". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved August 10, 2014. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH
- Mansfield, Brian (October 13, 2014). "On the Verge: Sam Hunt's 'Night' shines bright". USA Today. Retrieved October 27, 2014.